Prime Rib

Started by Eo0014, December 06, 2022, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eo0014

Smoking a 5.25 lb prime rib this weekend.  Thinking about 2.5 hours of Whiskey Oak smoke then finishing in oven over a bed of onions and garlic at about 220 until desired temp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Eo0014

Any suggestions on a different wood smoke?

Habanero Smoker

I do a 4 bone prime rib every Christmas for the last 5 years.

Preparation is most important. If you have a bone-in roast, at least 2 to 3 days prior to roasting it, I first separate the bones from the roast. If this is not done already check out YouTube for a video on how to do this. If you have a boneless roast just skip those steps. Trim fat cap to 1/4" thick. Using sharp knife, cut slits in surface layer of fat, spaced 1 inch apart, in crosshatch pattern, being careful not to cut down into the meat.   Next I weigh the roast without the bone. Once I have the weight I prepare a salt/pepper mixture. Season the roast with all the salt/pepper mixture over entire roast, into slits, and lightly season the bones as well. Tightly wrap roast and bones separately; in plastic wrap. Transfer to a sheet pan, and refrigerate, at least 24 hours and up to 5 days. Doing these "dry" brine steps is well worth it.

Salt/Pepper Per Pound:
3/4 tsp. Morton Kosher salt per pound (or 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal)
3/4 tsp. coarse ground pepper (commonly referred to as #16); if you don't like too much pepper you can reduce the amount per pound.

After the roast has been seasoned for at least 24, I apply an herb paste.
Herb Paste (Makes enough for a 10 pound roast)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
3 garlic cloves, mince or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon American paprika
1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder (optional)
2 – 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil

To make Herb Paste; in a mortar and pestle or small food processor, combine fresh herbs, garlic, paprika, and chipotle powder, salt with enough oil to make a spreadable paste. This paste can be made up to four days in advance. Place in air tight container, and refrigerate until use.

A day or two before roasting, unwarp the roast that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Apply herbal paste. After paste has been applied, tightly rewrap, and place back into the refrigerator. If time allows, one day before cooking, remove plastic wrap from both the roast and bones. Tie the bones to the meat with cooking twine; tying between each rib, and allow meat to air dry in the refrigerator for 24 hours. If time does not permit, after tying the bones to the roast, allow it to sit at room temperature for about an hour.

I use oak wood, so the Whiskey Oak is a good choice for beef. I generally roast/smoke at 250°F, and I calculate about 25 - 30 minutes per pound, for a finish roast of 130°F - 134°F.  Because of my cooking temperature, you will need to cook for a longer period. Once I get to the desired internal temperature I remove the roast, and let it rest for 30 - 45 minutes. While it is resting I turn up the oven to 450°F, place roast back in the oven, and cook until well browned and crisp on the exterior, another 6 to 10 minutes. Monitor carefully, this is not the time to get preoccupied with something else. Remove from oven - to carve; cut twine and remove the bones. The roast has already been rested, so there is no need to have it rest after it has been reversed sheared.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mybad

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 07, 2022, 02:31:53 AM
Monitor carefully, this is not the time to get preoccupied with something else.

No truer words...LOL   ;D  Don't ask how I know.

Habanero Smoker

I also learned my lesson on this, all too well. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Eo0014

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 07, 2022, 02:31:53 AM
I do a 4 bone prime rib every Christmas for the last 5 years.

Preparation is most important. If you have a bone-in roast, at least 2 to 3 days prior to roasting it, I first separate the bones from the roast. If this is not done already check out YouTube for a video on how to do this. If you have a boneless roast just skip those steps. Trim fat cap to 1/4" thick. Using sharp knife, cut slits in surface layer of fat, spaced 1 inch apart, in crosshatch pattern, being careful not to cut down into the meat.   Next I weigh the roast without the bone. Once I have the weight I prepare a salt/pepper mixture. Season the roast with all the salt/pepper mixture over entire roast, into slits, and lightly season the bones as well. Tightly wrap roast and bones separately; in plastic wrap. Transfer to a sheet pan, and refrigerate, at least 24 hours and up to 5 days. Doing these "dry" brine steps is well worth it.

Salt/Pepper Per Pound:
3/4 tsp. Morton Kosher salt per pound (or 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal)
3/4 tsp. coarse ground pepper (commonly referred to as #16); if you don't like too much pepper you can reduce the amount per pound.

After the roast has been seasoned for at least 24, I apply an herb paste.
Herb Paste (Makes enough for a 10 pound roast)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
3 garlic cloves, mince or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon American paprika
1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder (optional)
2 – 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil

To make Herb Paste; in a mortar and pestle or small food processor, combine fresh herbs, garlic, paprika, and chipotle powder, salt with enough oil to make a spreadable paste. This paste can be made up to four days in advance. Place in air tight container, and refrigerate until use.

A day or two before roasting, unwarp the roast that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Apply herbal paste. After paste has been applied, tightly rewrap, and place back into the refrigerator. If time allows, one day before cooking, remove plastic wrap from both the roast and bones. Tie the bones to the meat with cooking twine; tying between each rib, and allow meat to air dry in the refrigerator for 24 hours. If time does not permit, after tying the bones to the roast, allow it to sit at room temperature for about an hour.

I use oak wood, so the Whiskey Oak is a good choice for beef. I generally roast/smoke at 250°F, and I calculate about 25 - 30 minutes per pound, for a finish roast of 130°F - 134°F.  Because of my cooking temperature, you will need to cook for a longer period. Once I get to the desired internal temperature I remove the roast, and let it rest for 30 - 45 minutes. While it is resting I turn up the oven to 450°F, place roast back in the oven, and cook until well browned and crisp on the exterior, another 6 to 10 minutes. Monitor carefully, this is not the time to get preoccupied with something else. Remove from oven - to carve; cut twine and remove the bones. The roast has already been rested, so there is no need to have it rest after it has been reversed sheared.

I followed the recipe faithfully.  That was a damn fine prime rib!!!  Thank you for the advice!

Habanero Smoker

Your more than welcome!

That recipe is a combination of recipes. Over the years I've combined parts and techniques of recipes from Cook's Illustrated, Weber, Amazing Ribs, Thermoworks, and a couple of others. This one seems to works for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Eo0014

I may have used a bit too much salt & pepper on the dry brine.  I probably over estimated more than I needed, but everything turned out great!

Where were these cooking skills when I was single?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Eo0014 on December 12, 2022, 07:23:51 PM
Where were these cooking skills when I was single?
;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Eo0014

Change of direction, but any thoughts about doing a pork belly?  I'm thinking something alomg the lines of burnt ends

Habanero Smoker

RNMAC's posted recipe on your other thread looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.