Store Bought Corned Beef/Pastrami

Started by mybad, March 19, 2023, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Seems the local grocery stores, over ordered on corned beef. Lucky for ME  ;D 

Want to do a couple of pastrami's out or them. What would be the recommended soak time to remove some of the salt.

I remember doing one years ago, but didn't soak it enough, and it was very salty.

MB

Habanero Smoker

Like you I have not had success soaking commercial corn beef. Below is a link to a method on how to "desalinate" corn beef. It's in step one of the instructions. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so with a little modification. Instead of overnight, my plan is to desalinate for 24 hours; changing the water and turning over the meat once during that time. Also I plan on using more water. This method may require air drying in the refrigerator for an extra 8 - 24 hours; after desalination has been completed. But overnight may be enough time.

HOME MADE PASTRAMI FROM CORNED BEEF

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dubob

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 20, 2023, 03:17:11 AM
Like you I have not had success soaking commercial corn beef. Below is a link to a method on how to "desalinate" corn beef. It's in step one of the instructions. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so with a little modification. Instead of overnight, my plan is to desalinate for 24 hours; changing the water and turning over the meat once during that time. Also I plan on using more water. This method may require air drying in the refrigerator for an extra 8 - 24 hours; after desalination has been completed. But overnight may be enough time.

HOME MADE PASTRAMI FROM CORNED BEEF
The only thing I would suggest is that you change the water 4 or 5 times during the 24-hour soak - that's what I do.  My pastrami doesn't seem too salty to me, but everybody has their own idea about that.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

mybad

Awesome, thank you both for the advice. I will let you know.

mybad

I used a store bought, point corned beef. Followed the advice above, but soaked for two days, changing the water twice.

Used a basic rub:
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon whole yellow (white) mustard seeds
½ teaspoon mustard powder
I did add a bit more pepper.

Into the Bradley @240 degrees, using hickory, in the A-MAZE-N smoker tray. Let that run for about 5hrs, until internal was 164.

Pulled and wrapped in foil, into the oven @270, until internal temp of 200.

Rested to about 145 degrees, wrapped into fridge overnight.

Excellent taste, a little peppery, but I like that flavor. Salt content was almost non existent, but had a really good "pastrami" taste. The package listed it as a point, but it was definitely a flat.

Rub was a little soft, but very good!

MB

Habanero Smoker

Great!

This gives me hope for when I get around to trying this. It's much cheaper to purchase corned beef, than it is to buy a brisket flat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dubob

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 03, 2023, 02:52:07 PMIt's much cheaper to purchase corned beef, than it is to buy a brisket flat.
Amen, Brother Hab; Amen!   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss