Quick cold smoker help

Started by DevinM, November 05, 2023, 07:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevinM

I think I lost the little plug that comes with the cold smoker, can I just cut the cord in half and plug it into both things? I don't use it for hot smoking anymore. I believe it is to sense the temp.

DevinM

I turned the cold smoker end towards the back of the the main chamber and plugged in the cord.

Habanero Smoker

Don't cut the cord in half. You will just get an error messages. If you plan on lengthening the cord, you can cut the sensor cord in half and in splice a similiar wire.

The current setup you have, I feel you will not get the best results for cold smoking. If you can't locate your bypast plug, you should order one, or do a search for a wire connector that has the length you need, and has the plugs that will fit the Bradley. Or as I mentioned above, you can splice the cord to any length you need.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DevinM

Also, when I smoke cheese it never looks different, then I see other people's it looks like it was smoked warmer with more color. I guess it doesn't matter cause it's very smokey I just thought it was strange.

Habanero Smoker

When I smoke cheese, after applying smoke I will leave it in the smoker for a few hours at 70 - 75°F. But you need to ensure that the cabinet temperature does not go over 75°F, and the closer to 70 the better.  This seems to give the cheese a darker color. Leaving it on the kitchen counter on an inverted rack; for a few hours, you may get further color development, but it is not as good as leaving it in the smoker.

You can also try cherry bisquettes. Smoke from cherry wood produces more of a mahogony color. If you don't want to smoke completely with cherry, maybe start with your favorite smoke flavor, and finish the smoke with an hour of cherry.

Around Christmas time I smoke cream cheese. You are actually using temperatures between 225 - 250F. If you haven't smoked cream cheese at high temperatures, give it a try.

Smoked Cream Cheese

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DevinM

I do smoked cream cheese all the time, I just use the Bradley for cold smoking, I have a pitboss for everything else.