Using Smoker in the winter in Ontario

Started by Jr620, November 22, 2023, 11:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jr620

Hi, new to the board is there any issues using the smoker in the winter in Ontario will the smoke be able to stay up to temperature even in -5 C or colder?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi ,

Welcome to the forum.

There are several Canadians on this forum, that can provide more input than I can on this.

-5 C, is 23 F here in New York. Your Bradley should be able to get up and maintain your set temperature. It will take longer to preheat the smoker, and you should preheat it higher than you plan to smoke/cook. The may problem to maintaining temperatures is the wind. Try to protect the smoker as much as you can from the wind.

I'm short of time right now, but there are several tips on the forum, on how to maintain temperatures in colder weather.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

michalwelna

What is the maximum temperature I can set the 4 rack version to?
On EU site I read it's 120*C, but on US site it's 138*C.
I'm worried that it's 120*C, so during winter it will reach lower temperatures, e.g. 105*C. Plus I won't be able to make beef ribs, since they require about 135*C.

Habanero Smoker

Hi  michalwelna,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the differences in the two different sources. There are EU members on this forum, that may be able to explain the differences in the information.

You may also want to contact the EU distributor. He should be able to clarify the discrepancy.

Grakka Limited

I
         don't
                   inhale.

michalwelna

Thank you Habanero Smoker

Yup, I did contact Bradley Smokers EU a few days ago, but unfortunately they didn't reply :(.
Maybe some EU user on the forum would be able to answer my question.

Cheers!

Habanero Smoker

Just for my own curiosity, can you let me know what their explanation is.

Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

michalwelna

Of course. If only I get a reply from Bradley :)

Habanero Smoker

:) :) :)

They must be celebrating the U.S. Thanksgiving Holiday ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

michalwelna

I posted here and a few minutes later they replied :D

See below:

Hi Michal,
225f is 107C is ample to cook ribs, most low and slow smoked recipes will call for this temperature. All of our smokers in the range are capable of achieving these temperatures & above.
The 4 Rack Digital is capable of a maximum of 138C in perfect conditions but the advertised maximum temperature of 120C takes into consideration average operating conditions within Europe.
The 4 Rack Digital is capable of operating in ambient temperatures of -10 to +50 C. For best performance the advised operating ambient temperatures are between 5 to 25 C. Outside of this range the ambient temperature will affect the performance of the smoker.
The smoker is natural draft and so things like wind speeds etc will affect the temperature of the smoker as well.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting their reply. Now my curiosity is satisfied.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mustangmoe

I keep my smokers in a storage shed on my deck. I live in Northern Ontario and smoke all year long. If its 40 below its to darn cold for me to be outside so no smoking then LOL