• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Original Smoker Not Making Temp.

Started by Trky Chsr, July 11, 2024, 05:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trky Chsr

I've had an original smoker for about 3 years and it has been working flawlessly. However when I wanted to do a batch of rainbow the other day the temperature wouldn't go above 125 even though I had it cranked. After about 6 hrs the fish was to my liking but if I was doing bacon I would have been very angry. Any clue to what's going on? I thought of replacing the heating element but it is still producing heat so I'm not sure that would solve the problem. I read in the archives that someone had the same problem but the poster didn't say whether any of the proposed solutions worked. TC

Habanero Smoker

Hi TC;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Can you add some additional information. This forum has members from all over the world. Can you clarify if the temperature is in Fahrenheit or Centigrade? If you are measuring temperature in Fahrenheit, the problem you are encountering, can be different than if it was in Centigrade.

What was the ambient weather conditions during the time you were smoking the fish?

How much trout were you smoking at one time? When you refer to another post, try to put a link to that post, or mention the member's name. These bits of information will help a lot for us to help resolve your problem.

I've had heating elements go bad, and each time they just stopped working. There was no slow decline in it's ability to provide heat. If you have a multimeter you can test the element. You will need to detach the wires on each end of the element to test the Ohms. You should get a reading of 28 - 32 Ohms.

If you are smoking a large load, that can produce a lot of moisture (condensation) inside the cabinet. That moisture will keep the cabinet temperature down, and the Bradley will struggle to get the temperature up. Keeping the top fully open helps. You can try reducing the amount of food you smoke at any given time. A simple test to see if moisture builds up was the problem, do a test run without any food in the cabinet, to see if your Bradley reaches your temperature setting.

Another problem could be that you are not getting enough voltage. Have you added any more appliances on that same circuit, or happened to be running an appliance, such as an air conditioner? Appliances can draw enough power, causing the Bradley not to receive enough voltage to obtain higher temperatures. Also, if you added an extension cord, that could effect the performance.

Ambient weather conditions can also play a role. The wind will "suck" the temperature out of the Bradley. If it is very humid, and you are smoking a lot of meat, that can produce a lot of moisture; such as fish or chicken with skin on, that will keep you temperature from reaching it's setting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Trky Chsr

Thanks for the reply. Temperature is in Fahrenheit. Outside temp was approx 80. I was doing 10lbs of fish. I did 10lbs of bacon a month or so ago with no issue. I tried this morning with nothing in it after I removed the box and checked all the wires. I haven't put a multi meter on it but I will do that. Here is a link for someone with a similar problem from a few years ago:https://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=38502.0
I haven't checked the inline fuse yet. When I tried it this morning I did so in the garage and I couldn't see any colour on the element at all even after 1/2hr.TC

Habanero Smoker

Ten pounds of fish is a very light load, and would not cause this problem. It looks like you are not receiving power to the element. Even with 10 pounds of fish, the bisquette burner, especially on an 80F day, can bring the cabinet temperature to 125F, without the heating element working.

It could be your inline fuse, or the temperature sensor, or the heating element. With a multimeter you can use the continuity test, on the inline fuse, to see if that is the problem. Checking the heating element would be the easiest first step. If it gives you a a reading of 28 - 32 Ohms, then it is likely the inline fuse.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Trky Chsr

Thanks HS, got some investigating to do.  TC

Trky Chsr

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 13, 2024, 02:26:32 PMTen pounds of fish is a very light load, and would not cause this problem. It looks like you are not receiving power to the element. Even with 10 pounds of fish, the bisquette burner, especially on an 80F day, can bring the cabinet temperature to 125F, without the heating element working.

It could be your inline fuse, or the temperature sensor, or the heating element. With a multimeter you can use the continuity test, on the inline fuse, to see if that is the problem. Checking the heating element would be the easiest first step. If it gives you a a reading of 28 - 32 Ohms, then it is likely the inline fuse.

So checked the inline fuse and it was ok. I thought I still had my multi-meter but I don't so can't check that part. I think I'll just try replacing the heating element and see. If it turns out it's not the element what are my options? Not a lot of parts offered on the Bradley website. TC

Habanero Smoker

How did you check your inline fuse? It is often difficult to visibly check it.

If you are sure the inline fuse if good, then it is most likely your heating element. If you don't have a multimeter you may be able to rent one. If you have an Auto Zone store, they have a rent/loaner a tool program, and I believe they rent them. There is a deposit, and when you return the tool, you get your deposit back. You can also try Home Depot or Lowes, to see what tools they rent. Give these stores a call.

Other things that can cause a loss of power to the element, are the temperature sensor, or a loose wiring.

There are some third parties that sell Bradley parts such as Yard & Pool. Bradley generally only list the accessories and parts that are most frequently needed. If you have to replace a part that is not listed send an email or call their customer service.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

Quote from: Trky Chsr on July 15, 2024, 04:55:39 PMSo checked the inline fuse and it was ok. I thought I still had my multi-meter but I don't so can't check that part. I think I'll just try replacing the heating element and see. If it turns out it's not the element what are my options? Not a lot of parts offered on the Bradley website. TC

$25 for a new heating element is a bit costly if you're not sure if it is defective.  Amazon sells multimeters for less than half that price.  There's one on today's Amazon Prime for less than $10. 

A good heating element will read around 27-32 ohms resistance.  Disconnect one wire from the element before you check it.

Here's the Amazon Prime deal:  AstroAI Multimeter Tester

Trky Chsr

I just visibly checked the fuse. I may get a multimeter to check things out. I'm in Canada so things are a little more expensive and harder to get. TC

Habanero Smoker

If a multimeter is something you will only use just once, check out Auto Zone. There are some Auto Zones in Canada. If you are near one, they will loan you one for free. You leave a deposit and get the full deposit back when you return the tool.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Zurita

It sounds like the issue might be with the temperature control or thermostat rather than the heating element, especially if the element is still producing some heat. Check if the temperature sensor is clean and properly connected, as a malfunctioning sensor can cause inaccurate temperature readings.