• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Determining time and temp on chuck roast

Started by Kansas Skydiver, July 12, 2024, 07:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas Skydiver

Hi! First post from a new owner. Here's a quick question for some of you who, unlike me, clearly know what you're talking about: If you are going to warp a piece of beef, do you accomplish that when it stalls, or do you use some other indicator – like time?

For example, my 5 1/4 pound chuck roast stalled at internal 149 degrees after seven hours at 230 degrees cook temp, so I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it back in the smoker. (Just FYI, my Meater thermometer was showing ambient temp well below the 230 indicated on the Bradley which raises even more questions.) I had expected the meat to stall at around 170 internal. The cooking temp was not increased after wrapping, and it stayed in for another three hours. After a total of ten hours at 230, the meat was okay, but not nearly as tender as expected. I hope that's clear, but please ask if you have questions. Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kansas Skydiver,

Welcome to the forum. When you have time, search around. This forum contains a great deal of information. Thanks for providing all the information you did, in your post.

First, I want to say, each cut of meat is different, and sometimes you get a cut that cooks a lot differently. Since I have had my Stoker, this temperature control devise graphs my smoke/cook; and it has shown me that there are two stalls. One very short stall around 140F, and the much longer stall (the plateau) that occurs around 155F - 165F. I found that the longer stall temperature also depends on the temperature you are cooking at. So it may occur sooner or later than the temperatures I stated. I generally will smoke a chuck, or brisket at 225F.

For wrapping I don't go by time or internal temperature; but I use them as guidelines. When the internal temperature gets around 160F, I begin to check the bark. When I can lightly scrape the back of my fingernail against the bark, and the bark does not rub off, it is a good time to wrap. There are times I want more color, so I may leave it in longer. If you wrap too soon, the bark will "wash" off. when I wrap, I always use some liquid or fat. This helps the braising process, and shortens the cook time. For a chuck roast, adding beef tallow helps a great deal. In you situation, you may want to start checking when you see the stall, or a bit sooner.

At what internal temperature did you take the chuck out of the Bradley? For tender sliced chuck, you should take it to an IT of 185F - 190F. If you are going to pull or shred it; take it to 202F - 205F.

I don't have a Meater thermometer, but have something similar. Overall, I don't care for these types of dual reading thermometers, but that is my personal opinion. I feel that the ambient temperature sensor is not far enough away from the meat, to get an accurate cabinet reading. That sensor is usually so close to the meat, that evaporation from the meat can influence the actual cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kansas Skydiver

H.S., thank you so much for your thoughts. The internal temp was about 160 when removed, so that was the "hint" that it wasn't going to end as I wanted. However, several videos had indicated 5 1/4 pounds of chuck should cook for two hours per pound, therefore the ten hour timeframe. I, too, was looking for something at or over 200 internal, but it never happened.

It sounds like the temperatures are probably good indicators, but checking the bark had not occurred to me. In the future, I will allow more time. The cooking temp will be checked independently to see how that works; It might be an issue. My Meater, like your Stoker, also has graph capability, and with your suggestion, I will pay more attention to locating the stall point via the graph. Hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense. (I'm not too bright -- got kicked out of third grade for refusing to shave. But I was president of that class all four years!)

I'm certain this will all make sense someday, but it's sure nice to have you guys to consult with. Thanks again for your help. And thanks for the welcome.

Habanero Smoker

It looks like you had a well-planned cook. Just sometimes things happen that are just out of the norm. If the recipe you were using didn't come of this forum, or other Bradley site, the time frames can be much longer for the Bradley. The Bradley is heated by a 500w element, and the recovery time, for the Bradley to get back up to your set temp. will be much longer than if using a charcoal, wood, of pellet grill. That recovery time could add hours to your cook time.

I mostly use temperature as to when a cut is finished, but there are times when feel, texture, time, and looks come into play. A lot of times, when my meat reaches my desired temperature, I will test it by probing it with my temperature probe. In your case you would need to use something like a wood or metal skewer. If it slides in and out with little or no resistance, it is ready. If not it may need more time. As you have mentioned, if the meat has not reached your desired temperature within a specific time frame, continue to cook. Also, adding a 1/4 cup of liquid or fat (beef tallow, oil, butter etc.), when you wrap, will shorten the cook time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)