First weekend with the BS

Started by bsolomon, July 26, 2004, 09:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsolomon

Well, I had placed my order before I started lurking here, so I'm sorry to say I didn't order from Chez, but he did immediately get my order for bisquettes and, or course, Bubba Pucks. I tried to jump up on the learning curve quickly by following the excellent advice I found here.  Here's how I spent my last few days:

Wednesday -
It arrived last after not much of a wait and I immdeiately set it up and seasoned the cabinet for two hours.  Started planning menu for the weekend.  Decided on cold smoked salmon, whole chickens, and pork loin ribs.

Thursday -
Shopping at Costco.  5 lb Wild Salmon - cleaned but I had to fillet myself.  (2) 4 lb chickens.  2 sides of pork loin ribs.  I decided to try spyguy's salmon recipe.  Also picked up several pounds of coarse salt and brown sugar.  Got home and started the salmon.  Did all the filleting and prep, and dry cured for 8 hours while I slept.

Friday -
Woke up and move the salmon to the wet brine and went to my office.  Had my wife remove it from the wet brine after 9 hours, and freshened under running water for 30 minutes.  Dryed for 1 hour.  Cold smoked with Alder for 2 hours.  Outdoor temp 55 degrees and slight drizzle, but decided to use two containers of ice in the cabinet.  Temperature in the cabinet never got higher than 71 degrees, according to the maverick Redi-check dual-probe, which I recommend highly.[:D]  Unbelievable flavor, and the color and texture were perfect.  Got even better after chilling in the fridge.  This recipe is time and labor intensive, but as the man said, it yields fabulous results.[:p]

While all this was going on, I started the two chickens in brine for 4 hours, then set them on a raised rack in the fridge and allowed to air dry overnight.

Saturday -
Pulled out the chickens early and did a paste rub (dry rub heavy on sage, thyme, and paprika, with a little olive oil).  Pulled the chickens out around 1pm and allowed to warm to room temperature.  Preheated the smoker to 220 for an hour, put in the birds with 3 hours of Pecan and set the food temp alarm for 165.  Temperature in the cabinet was amazingly steady and easily maintaind itself +/- 5 degrees without problem.  The chickens came out and immediately got wrapped in foil, then and old bath towel, and then into a small cooler for about 1 1/2 hours.  Looked, tasted and smelled unbelieveable, and was incredibly juicy.[:p] 1 chicken for dinner, the other one saved for Sunday.

While this was going on, I prepped the pork loin ribs with the Corky's dry run with a few additional seasonings added, then wrapped in plastic wrap and back into the fridge overnight.

Sunday -
Ribs out of the fridge at 8 am and smoker on preheat to 200.  Ribs into the smoker at 9 am with the two thicker 1/2 slabs on the lower 2 shelves, the two thinner slabs on the third shelf up, and a top rack full of bacon.  Smoked 3 hours hickory, 1 hour maple.  Opened the door at 4 hours to refill water bowl and remove used bisquettes.  Flipped all the ribs over, and reversed the lower two racks only, and then let if go at 200 for an additional 4 hours.  They looked so good I almost wanted to cry, but I was resolute enough to get them all into foil, the towel and the cooler for 1 1/2 hours before carving.  The double smoked bacon didno't make it into the cooler and didn't last long.

We had 4 guests for dinner, which consisted of cold smoked salmon for an appetizer, the remaining chicken, and the ribs which came out perhaps best of all.[:p]  I roasted some corn on the cob on the Weber grill, just so it wouldn't feel neglected.  I have never seen ribs so moist and tender.  Needless to say, no one went home hungry or disappointed.

All in all a perfect 3 for 3 for my first time out.  I firmly believe in not reinventing the wheel if the wheel isn't broken.  While I might apply a minor tweak or two next time through, it's nice to know that food this amazing is so readily achieved. Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions.

MallardWacker

bsolomon,

Great job and welcome to the forum.  I'm with you on the Korky's, it's nice and cheap from WalleyWorld.  I use it on EVERYTHING.  Hay, I see another convert to the foil and towl, man-even used a cooler, I'm impressed. I'm teeling you I do that with everything, really can't go wrong.  I think and adds a little "Grace" to something that may be a little under done or dried out abit and only adds to a great piece of meat.  Have a great day.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

kjel

bsolomon,
congrats!  you sure did your homework and got all the good tips before starting to smoke in your b.s.

Oldman

Welcome and I must say I'm very impressed.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Bassman

Barry,
A job well done. You are obviously a take charge "get er done" kind of guy. I'm impressed. and oh yeah welcome to the forum[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Good Job Barry!
Hey..tried sending you an email...wouldn't load so I hope you get to read this....I won't be able to make it up to your neck of the woods while I'm in Denver..."The Company" has a bunch of dinners planned and it's with the bosses so I won't be able to escape...sorry it didn't work out man.
Fuzzy

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

DEMAN

Great job bslolomon

I went the other route...you know....see the BS in a store...buy it a month or so later...<b>screw up</b> the first brisket I smoke...THEN get online and learn how to do things the right way[:D]

I moved a 9 lb pork butt into my cooler (wrapped of course in Saran wrap/al.foil/towels) two hours ago after 12 hours of slow smoking and cooking. I can hardly wait.[:p]

Set the tongs on the floor....and back away slowly...no one has to get hurt

bsolomon

No troubles Fuzzybear.  Sorry it didn't work out.

DEMAN, I think this is just like the line from StarWars:  "Use the forum Luke..."  I hate nothing more than an untimely end for a perfectly good piece of meat, so it's definitely worth a bit of reading here to get all the good tricks.