Homemade Pizza...Now I'm Feelin' Saucy

Started by PetersCreek, September 08, 2006, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetersCreek

Okay...here are my thoughts on pizza sauces.  Sorry again for the post length.  Maybe one of these days, I'll write a book.

Basic Pizza Sauce

This ain't no ballbustin' scratch-made pizza sauce. It's basic, easy, and you can doctor it up several ways.

1 15-oz can tomato puree or sauce
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 clove garlic, crushed/chopped
1 bay leaf
1 pinch red pepper flakes (to taste, optional)
½ tsp kosher salt

Just toss everything in a pot and simmer until the flavors marry and it develops some body. Pizza sauce has to have good body and texture, in my opinion, and that's why I use puree rather than sauce. Suit yourself, though. I seldom measure anything, either...but rather eyeball my amounts.  Feel free to experiment.  Remember to pick out the bay leaf...unless you're channeling Ewell Gibbons and feel like a snack.

Sauce Balsamico

Start with the basic sauce and add a splash or two of balsamic vinegar. Watch it now...it's an easy thing to overdo. Taste as you go. Simmer to get the body back. If you like a sweeter sauce, add a pinch or two of sugar to balance the acidity of the balsamico.

Purple Pizza Sauce

Wait a minute...c'mon back over here. It doesn't really come out purple.

Start with about a ½-cup of red wine in the pot and simmer to reduce by at least half. While it's reducing, get the basic sauce together by opening the puree can and heaping the other ingredients on top of it. When the wine has reduced, empty the can into it and stir. It'll look a little purple at first but don't panic. As it simmers, it'll settle down to a dark, rich, red color. The wine really adds depth to this sauce and is one of The Wife's® favorites.

Note — Never, ever use grocery store "cooking wine"! It's absolute crap and it has added salt. Use a drinkable wine. I'm not sayin' you have to use a fine, expensive wine. But if you can't or won't drink it, why put it something you're going to eat?  I know I'm probably preachin' to the choir but my culinary consigliore made me say it.

Another Variation

Will you be having italian sausage on your pizza? Dirty one less pan by browning it in the same pot that you'll make your sauce in, then deglaze those brown bits of sausagy goodness with wine or water. Reduce, add your basic sauce, and simmer.

Pizza "Saucelessico"

Ever since we discovered this recipe, it's been far-and-away our favorite.

Seed and roughly dice some Roma tomatoes...about 4 per pizza, depending on size. Lightly marinate them in balsamic vinegar with a little kosher salt, then drain well. Generously bomb the crust with the tomatoes.

Top the pie with a layer of thinly sliced, fresh, whole milk mozzarella. I'm talkin' about the really fresh, really soft stuff that may even have a little liquid in the package...not the firmer, slightly aged, part skim variety. And definitely do not...I repeat...do not use the shredded bag cheese for this pizza. That's okay for sauce pizzas but not for this one.

If you want extras...but this pizza is fabulous without...add 'em now.  Prosciutto and mushrooms usually works for us. Don't overdo it. This pizza is about simplicity. Add a little kosher salt and if you like, freshly ground black pepper.

Finally, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the top and slide it onto your hot stone. Before cutting, top with a chiffonade (thinly cut strips) of fresh basil.

Speaking of Hot Stones — The only real trick to actually cooking a pizza is getting the bottom and top done at the same time...and that's usually only tricky on thicker pies. I don't make 'em too thick so I just crank my oven as high as it'll go...550°F. I put the cold stone in the cold oven, in plenty of time to completely preheat...and then some.  Don't trust the preheat beep!  I try to give it at least a half-hour.  I want it just as hot as it's gonna get in there before I put the pizza on it.

I don't time my pizza either. I keep an eye on it and pull it out when the cheese has started to brown. Coming out of my oven, the bottom and edges of the crust are perfectly done at this time. Your oven may vary.

I suggest cooling your pizza slightly on a rack before cutting it. Putting a still-steaming pizza directly on a pan, board, or counter may cause condensation to collect underneath, making your lovely crust not-so-lovely-or-crusty.

Final Touches—To give your crust a little extra flavor and make it look cooking-magazine-delicious, lightly brush the edge with extra virgin olive oil after it comes out of the oven.  Also, the basil chiffonade from the Pizza Saucelessico recipe works for almost any pizza.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

iceman

Quote from: PetersCreek on September 08, 2006, 02:01:13 PM
  Remember to pick out the bay leaf...unless you're channeling Ewell Gibbons and feel like a snack.
I remember years ago they caught him streaking. Ewell had a paper bag over his head but they knew it was him running through the campus. (Are you ready for this) ::) It was his golden rod and hickory nuts that gave him away!!! :o :D SORRY, I just had to say it. ;)

bubbagump

Quote from: iceman on September 08, 2006, 03:35:17 PM
It was his golden rod and hickory nuts that gave him away!!! :o :D SORRY, I just had to say it. ;)

Too Funny!!!  :D :D :D :D

asa

Brett -
Thanks for sharing your sauces. We'll try them soon. We used to have parties where I made pizza rounds and sauces, and everyone who came brought their favorite toppings. Plan to start that again this fall, and will definitely try your sauce recipes. It's a great way to have a dinner party that goes on for several hours while pies are constructed and cooked one at a time. Works best for 8 people, but can be adapted for more if you have more stones and oven capacity. BTW, prebaking the crusts on the grill for about 30 seconds ahead of time is a good way to keep them from sticking to the peel and give them a good flavor.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!