• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Joined the ranks..... little help needed!

Started by chief, September 11, 2006, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

Thanks to all for the info......I've got a lot of reading and learning to do to catch up with everyone else.  Chickens proved to be easy.....I'm moving up the scale of difficulty and need to do some prepwork on internal temps,thermometers, probes, etc.  I would enjoy someone explaining how they use the bricks for temp control.....I understand the theory, but would like for someone to tell me how they've placed them.

Reading through Old's board has given me grand aspirations :o!!!!!

bubbagump

Quote from: Oldman on September 13, 2006, 06:01:47 AM
I was so concerned that should my glass element die that I would be stuck with a metal one that I got the last glass one from Chez--- it came out of his unit~~! LOL!!Olds

Olds - What do you find wrong with the metal elements? I haven't heard any issues with them. If I had to choose I would go with the metal.  The glass element is more prone to being damaged if something were spilled or dripped on it while it was hot.

Bubbagump

Oldman

Quote from: bubbagump on September 13, 2006, 03:03:33 PM
Quote from: Oldman on September 13, 2006, 06:01:47 AM
I was so concerned that should my glass element die that I would be stuck with a metal one that I got the last glass one from Chez--- it came out of his unit~~! LOL!!Olds

Olds - What do you find wrong with the metal elements? I haven't heard any issues with them. If I had to choose I would go with the metal.  The glass element is more prone to being damaged if something were spilled or dripped on it while it was hot.

Bubbagump

In the past while there were a few folks that complained that they could not get their units hot enough, it was not until the metal ones came out that it seemed to me that many folks were complaining about it. My box can it 330 F in a short time. So an old saying of mine comes into play: Don't stir the fudge once it's set.   ;)

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Just my 3 cents worth without getting into radiant vs convection heat transfer and element surface mass exposures bla, bla, bla. The older quartz elements like you and I still have Old's does put out a bit more btu's overall than the metal elements although they are rated at the same wattage consumption. Also effecting the heating capabilities of everyone's Bradley is the exact voltage input and amperage input. This can vary tremendously from location to location and time of day. Just a thought for the day. :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on September 14, 2006, 08:53:46 AM
......Also effecting the heating capabilities of everyone's Bradley is the exact voltage input and amperage input. This can vary tremendously from location to location and time of day. Just a thought for the day. :)

How true that statement is. After my renovations were completed my BS way out performs my previous setup, because it is on a different outlet and circuit breaker. During this time of year, I can now turn off the generator after the smoking is completed, because the heating element is good enough to keep it at the temperature I set.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bubbagump

Quote from: iceman on September 14, 2006, 08:53:46 AM
Just my 3 cents worth without getting into radiant vs convection heat transfer and element surface mass exposures bla, bla, bla. The older quartz elements like you and I still have Old's does put out a bit more btu's overall than the metal elements although they are rated at the same wattage consumption. Also effecting the heating capabilities of everyone's Bradley is the exact voltage input and amperage input. This can vary tremendously from location to location and time of day. Just a thought for the day. :)

Ice - I'm not sure what convection heat transfer has to do with anything. Both elements are radiant heating elements. As far as the BTU difference between the two goes, it can't be much as I have no problem running mine up past 300.

If you're referring to voltage variances due to utility companies, I think the likelyhood of tremendous variances from location to location (at least in the U.S.) is must less likely than it may have been years ago now that electrical utilities are on a grid, and highly regulated. I think the majority of problems with voltage are more likely due situations that Habs described.

I guess the real question is why did Bradley switch from a glass element to a metal element? My guess would be the metal are less likely to be damaged during shipment or by the end user while it is still under warranty....who knows.

iceman

Bubba; From Anchorage to Knik I've seen up to a 10 volt differance at peak hours and adverse weather conditions. We aren't on "The Grid" up here. Bummer. As far as convection I was refering to air flow over the food inside the cabinet ie. how far is the vent open or are you using a circ fan. I think your right on about the breakage issue. :)

bubbagump

Iceman

I see. Thanks for the clairification. I keep forgetting you're in God's country.:)  My brother and sister in-law were up in your neck of the woods celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary this year and absolutely loved it. Gotta get there myself sometime.

Take care.

Oldman

Quote From Anchorage to Knik I've seen up to a 10 volt difference at peak hours and adverse weather conditions.
Here is Florida while we do tie to the grid at the Ga. line for the most part we are not on a grid. Two reasons. One this state is surrounded on three sides by water. Secondly, storms.  The entire grid could be wiped out at the Ga state line and for the most part this state will be powered.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Quote from: bubbagump on September 14, 2006, 04:48:11 PM
Iceman

I see. Thanks for the clairification. I keep forgetting you're in God's country.:)  My brother and sister in-law were up in your neck of the woods celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary this year and absolutely loved it. Gotta get there myself sometime.

Take care.
If you get here, lodging, food and good times are on Ann and Me. Depending on the time of year you can pick hunting, fishing, (ice fishing), berry picking, or just plain goofing off!!! (My favorite). ;D

TomG

Ahhhh!  Can I come too ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

iceman

Quote from: TomG on September 14, 2006, 07:16:16 PM
Ahhhh!  Can I come too ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Ann wants to know if you do dishes. I guess I make a mess when cooking for large groups. :o ;D Of course your welcome any time up here!!! :)