• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Charcuterie... good book now available in UK

Started by manxman, September 13, 2006, 11:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Charcutererie, The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing. Ruhlman and Polcyn. ISBN: 0-393-05829-8

This book was recommended a few times on the forum when it was published in the US in 2005. The authors are also BS home users.

It is now available in the UK at discount from Amazon, currently £14.50:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298

It is a subject I know very little about, the classical charcuterie dishes are fascinating but the book also goes beyond this with hot and cold smoked salmon recipes together with other seafood and meat dishes plus a range of relishes, pickles, rubs, chutney's and sauces.

The smoked jalopenas and spicy smoked almonds look excellent together with the smoked scallop recipe.

Units are given in imperial and metric units which is handy and first impressions are very favourable. Chorizo, kielbasa, bresoala etc here I come.

Recommended reading.  :)
Manxman

asa

Thanks for the tip Manxman. I had never heard of it, but after reading about it, I see it is exactly the book I'm looking for right now.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

asa

Thanks! Exactyly what I'm interested in now. In the meantime, has anyone tried the salami recipe at the Morton site? Think I'll try that this weekend, along with my pork loin that's been curing for 3 weeks in the tenderquick plus brown sugar and maple syrup.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: asa on September 13, 2006, 03:06:38 PM
Thanks! Exactyly what I'm interested in now. In the meantime, has anyone tried the salami recipe at the Morton site? Think I'll try that this weekend, along with my pork loin that's been curing for 3 weeks in the tenderquick plus brown sugar and maple syrup.

I'm not doing the salami, but I will be trying the pepperoni on Saturday. I haven't decided if I am going to use the BS or the oven. I may do one in each. I'm not going to use the liquid smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Perhaps it would be useful to compile a list of recommended reading books?  :)

Glad you found the tip useful asa.
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on September 14, 2006, 02:34:32 AM
Perhaps it would be useful to compile a list of recommended reading books?  :)

Glad you found the tip useful asa.
Good idea Manx. ;)

manxman

QuoteGood idea Manx.

What do you reckon the best way to go about it is Iceman? Perhaps start a separate thread and just invite people to post their recommendations and get it stickied? Any other ideas? :)
Manxman

bubbagump

Quote from: manxman on September 14, 2006, 02:59:16 PM
QuoteGood idea Manx.

What do you reckon the best way to go about it is Iceman? Perhaps start a separate thread and just invite people to post their recommendations and get it stickied? Any other ideas? :)

I think that's a great idea. It would be nice to have that info in one place. Is it possible to have it on the recipe site?

iceman

Quote from: bubbagump on September 14, 2006, 03:16:20 PM
Quote from: manxman on September 14, 2006, 02:59:16 PM
QuoteGood idea Manx.

I think that's a great idea. It would be nice to have that info in one place. Is it possible to have it on the recipe site?
Perfect idea. Sort of in the lines of the prefered vendors sticky.

manxman

QuoteIs it possible to have it on the recipe site?

Perfect idea. Sort of in the lines of the prefered vendors sticky.

Sounds like a plan coming together!  :)

Perhaps some advice from Olds as to the best way to go about it would be in order?
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Such a list had already been started on the recipe site. If a small review of each book could be added,  it would be better.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 15, 2006, 02:52:25 AM

Such a list had already been started on the recipe site. If a small review of each book could be added,  it would be better.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102
Thanks Hab. I never even noticed that. ::) Duh! :o Yes, a review would be nice.

manxman

QuoteThanks Hab. I never even noticed that.  Duh!

Snap... I never noticed it either.  :-[
Manxman

bubbagump

Quote from: manxman on September 15, 2006, 11:59:20 AM
QuoteThanks Hab. I never even noticed that.  Duh!

Snap... I never noticed it either.  :-[

Thanks guys, now I don't feel so dumb :-[