Halibut cakes

Started by Chez Bubba, September 15, 2006, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

Having brought back what seems to be tonnage of halibut from Alaska, we usually have it a few times a month. Biggest problem we have is that due to its' delicately sweet flavor, almost any spices or sauces simply cover up the wonderful flavor to the point it may as well be carp.

Brainstorm last weekend likened the mild flavor of the 'but to crab & thought hey, why not?

Use your favorite crab cake mix/recipe & just sub the crab with 'but. Don't puree the halibut, just dice in about 1/4" cubes.

Man were they good. I haven't overstuffed my craw like that for a long time & we still had leftovers. The homemade remoulade sauce put it over the edge of yummy. :P :P :P

Then again, a good remoulade would probably make a turd taste good. ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Wildcat

I have never tried Halibut but have heard it was good and similar in taste to our flounder here in Florida.  My favorite fish is grilled grouper with flounder, red fish, and red snapper fighting for second place.

Rick
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Bingo Chez. You found the secret of halibut. It is THE all purpose fish. It aslo makes one heck of a taco. :D ;)

Oldman

Quote from: Wildcat on September 15, 2006, 05:42:51 PM
I have never tried Halibut but have heard it was good and similar in taste to our flounder here in Florida.  My favorite fish is grilled grouper with flounder, red fish, and red snapper fighting for second place.

Rick

I think Halibut is much better than our Florida Fluke (also called Summer Flounder for the folks in the Northern waters.)

For those who have never seen one these puppies have some serious teeth and strong jaws. The image here does not do those teeth any Justice.  Believe me you will only grab it with your thumb in its jaw and your index finger in its gill one time to hold it unless it is dead.     

Unlike the Winter Flounder with its small mouth that restricts its food to worms, some small fish, and crustaceans the Summer Flounder is a serious predator. It can change its coloring and burn itself in the sand so only the top of its eyes are showing.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Quote from: iceman on September 16, 2006, 03:52:00 PM
It aslo makes one heck of a taco. :D ;)

I love halibut in a taco......a couple of warm corn tortillas, some lightly seasoned halbut, crisp cabbage topped with smoked tomatillo corn salsa (or chipotle salsa), sliced avocado and sour cream. A few squeezes of lime juice and ......... :P
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"