Smokin a couple of pork legs...

Started by Smokin Joe, July 29, 2004, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Well...I am 16 hours into smoking 2 - 25lb. pork legs. I figure about another 16 hours and I will be good to go.

Smoked using alternating biscuits of maple and apple...smells absolutely freaking amazing!!! Once done, I will wrap in a damp towel, and put into the cooler for a few more hours.

I will post some photos of the before and after on our web forum when I am finished.

Anyone know of any limitations on the amount of time that the smokers should be run without a break?

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
www.carolinesrub.com

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

PAsmoker

I've run mine close to 24 hours with no problems.  As long as you're not overheating the box, I wouldn't see a problem.  Just keep h2o bowl full & watch out for juices that might want to run out the door.  Make sure to keep the drain hole open in the drip pan.
The Original PAsmoker

Smokin Joe

Thanks for the advice PASmoker.  It really helped.

Just thought I would write in and say that my legs temped out at 190 about 7 hours ahead of schedule...Deep black on the skin, but when I pulled a bit away, the meat was absolutely perfect! [:D] Of course, we all know the chef has to taste a sample to do a quality assurance check! [}:)]

The meat has been wrapped and was allowed to rest overnight.  I refrigerated it this morning, and plan on doing a taste test tonight.

From the looks of things, I am definitely going to see some happy eaters at our friends house party on Sunday!!! [:p]

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

MallardWacker

SmOk'n J,

Proud of ya bud.  But how many are you feeding, is Cooter Brown and all his family coming over or what.  That is a lotta pork, sounds like fun.  I know it will be the hit of the "Invasion".

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smokin Joe

I got Cooter and his family, as well as the Clampetts, the Hatfields, and the McCoys, somewhere around 70 or so...won't be too bad as long as I can keep the pork and the moonshine flowing!!  We all know how those Hatfields and McCoys can be when the food and liquor runs out!!!  

Reminds me, I better add some more grain to the still!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

Eat This

you must have split the legs???? I cant see 25lbs fitting on a rack.....did you split them and use all 4 racks?..

Smokin Joe

Nope...the catch was we boned them first.  That made them smaller and more flexible with regards to the racks.  Because they were so heavy though, I doubled up two racks.

Got them out last night from the cooler, and began to pull the meat.  I couldn't have asked for more tender or juicy meat.  Everything worked out perfectly!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

MallardWacker

SJ,

Simply inspiring.  The thing I can't stand about Cooter and all those type people is the bare feet.  They seem never to wash them.[xx(]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smokin Joe

Well I just wanted to say that the event was a complete success!!!  Everyone loved the pork and it went quick...Thank you Bradley...

However, one thing I noticed (unfortunately, I left my common sense at home that morning) is that the meat will dry out if pulled too soon before serving.  But, fortunately we had lots of hog sauce to help moisten things up.  Probably something most of you know already, but threw it in for anyone who might be new to the process...

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner