Chipotles from Scratch Advice Wanted

Started by pico, September 22, 2006, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pico

OK  I've read a bunch of posts and seen a variety of comments.  Who has the definitive word on smoking and drying your own, home grown wonderful red jalapenos? 

Frost is nigh here in NH and we've stripped the plants & I have a farily new BS ready for a maiden pepper cruise.  I've seen dry then smoke, smoke then dry, smoke all the way.  I've seen temps under 100F, 140 - 150.  What I'd like to do to keep it simple is put the pepper in the smoker (halved or whole) and turn it on to some temp and let 'e smoke (rotating racks from time to time).  No aim for sauce yet or anything else.  I just want my own chipotles.  BTW I do have an excalibur deh.

We love "biker billy" japs for making fresh pico, but will use "pecos" and another variety for chipotles.

Comments, hints, tips please.

TomG

Hardly definitive, but we think this is a killer for chipoltes from scratch, suggest you substitute Bisquettes for "chunks or logs" ;):

Home-Smoked Chipotle Chiles
·   chunks or logs of fragrant hardwood, preferably a combination of oak and mesquite
·   1 1/4 pounds red ripe jalapeno chiles, with stems
·   1/2 cup dried red New Mexico chile puree or commercial chile paste, such as Santa Cruz
·   1/3 cup water
·   2 tablespoons tomato paste
·   2 tablespoons cider vinegar
·   1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
·   1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
·   1/4 teaspoon salt
Prepare a smoker according to the manufacturer's directions, using the wood chunks and achieving a steady temperature of 275 to 300°. Place the chiles directly on the smoker rack (or use a shallow disposable foil pan) at the cooler end of the smoking chamber or on the upper rack if your smoker has one. Lower the cover and smoke the chiles for 2 1/2 hours, or until they are soft, brown, and slightly shriveled.
Remove the chipotles from the smoker. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine them with the chile puree, water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and salt. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring once or twice, until the sauce is very thick, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
Transfer the chipotles to a covered storage container and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using. They can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 2 months.
Dried Chipotle Peppers: After removing the chiles from the smoker, place them on a rack and leave them, loosely covered, at room temperature, until crisp, light, and dry, 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the humidity. Store airtight at room temperature.
NOTES : Green jalapenos can be used, but red ones are more beautiful and have a deeper, sweeter flavor. Grow your own, or select chiles that are beginning to turn red; they will eventually ripen. (Those picked without any red at all in their peels will always remain green.)
Makes about 3 cups.
Recipe from "Burning Desires" - W. Park Kerr

Habanero Smoker

Pico,

I smoked a bunch last year, along with some habaneros. Smoked them in the BS, but finished them in a dehydrator. Here are some sites I found useful that will get you on the right path.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/ndx_chipotle.asp
http://www.randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chipotles.html

Also here is a thread you may want to read:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1407.0

PS
I forgot to add; Welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

I have not done these in my BS; however, I helped a friend do them in his BS via the phone. If you want to do them whole I suggest taking a needle and pricking the skin all over. He used oak and pecan pucks. The temperature was around 135 - 140 F. I don't remember how long it took, but it was quite a while before they were leathery.

The trick is to do them slow.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

TomG

Pico, been there, done that, try Kerr's recipe. ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Oldman on September 23, 2006, 02:53:50 PM
I have not done these in my BS; however, I helped a friend do them in his BS via the phone. If you want to do them whole I suggest taking a needle and pricking the skin all over. He used oak and pecan pucks. The temperature was around 135 - 140 F. I don't remember how long it took, but it was quite a while before they were leathery.

The trick is to do them slow.
As Olds states it is best to do them slow. I usually keep the temperature between 130°F-150°F. I've found that pecan (which appears to be the preferred wood in Mexico), is better. You can also make 3-4 vertical slit in each pepper if you want to do them whole.

When they are dried, don't grind all of them, or make them all into adobo sauce. You have more options if you leave the majority of the peppers whole, they can be easily reconstituted in hot water,  and used in a variety of recipes that call for jalapenos. I've also learned that it is best to use more then one source when you are trying something new.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)