• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Circulation Fan

Started by Turkeyman, September 26, 2006, 04:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I know alot of you have put these in how many of you are running the fan clockwise and how many are running counter clockwise? And wich one works better? I am installing one right now thanks.

pfowl01

Hello turkeyman,

I run mine CCW. I really like it....no more roataing or turning racks and the temp is pretty much the same threw out :)

Vampyr

I am about to install a fan this week and the kind that i got is a clockwise one.  I hope that i did not mess up by getting one that turns in that direction.  Maybe i can reverse it if need be.  I guess we will see.  :-\ 

Oldman

QuoteMaybe i can reverse it if need be.  I guess we will see.   
Some members have reversed the motor that is listed in the postings.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MRH

What is the difference in which way it turns?  Or is more a matter of if it is blowing or drawing air back?  I might need to try this too here someday. ;D

Mark

TomG

I think it depends in which hemisphere you live. North of the Equator CCW works best, South of the Equator, unquestionably,  CW is the best choice.  :D ;)

West Coast Kansan

I would have to agree with TomG.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

acords

I installed a fan with the motor CW.  I couldn't find a blade at work that would draw air back though.  The blades were 3 bucks apiece, so I bent the blades the other way and it works fine.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Oldman

My current fan is CW. However my prototype was CCW and I feel that is the best way.

1.) If you are using the fan that is listed on the recipe site then it is blowing at an angle and will put more air flow on the bottom of the meat you have on the rack.
2.) CCW causes the air flow to defuse more evenly as it hits the back of the box first.

I don't smoke alot these past few months (life just not seem to allow me to) but when I do I place a small flat pan that is just wide enough on the bottom rack so the upper air movement is defused  and not directly blowing on an item.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Turkeyman

Well I got my circulation fan working I have it running cw I could not figure out how to reverse it and I didn't want to damage it. It works great from the lower rack to the top rack 2 deg differance. I think I will be very happy. I took some sheet metal and bent it up towards around the fan and I drilled holes in the bottom of it so the heat will still raise through it and the fan then blows it around. I am no engineer thats for sure but I think this will work I will post again once I smoke something. Thanks again to everyone on the fourum you guys know your stuff. I would post some pictures but I dont know how.

Cruzino

Circulation fan?  My original Bradley doesn't have one.  Anybody point me to a page that talks about the fan, what it does, and why I'd want it?  Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokenTexan

I've been reading about installing a fan in my BS.  Has anyone tried mounting one on the right side, opposite of the smoke generator, kind of tucked into the V of the drip catcher?

Concerning the second fan blade on the exterior (to cool the motor), did anyone measure the heat the motor generated without the heating element or smoke generator turned on?  My experience with those little motors is they run so hot they will blister flesh.  I guess the second fan blade would help with that heat, it would just be simpler without that addition.

I am wondering about trying a long shaft that runs left & right just above the V tray, with counter-mounted fan blades so they would stir up the air.  Or, maybe both blades mounted to pull air away from the smoke generator and push it towards the right side of the BS, hopefully blowing towards the top of the unit.  I guess most convection ovens use just one fan???  I don't own one, so I don't know.

This is my first post, although I have read quite a bit on the forum --- it has been very helpful to me.  It was good to learn that a little smoke goes a long way on poultry --- the first batch of chicken I cooked, although very moist, tasted like it barely survived a 4 alarm fire.  I think Bradley does a very poor job of teaching how to use their machine --- it shouldn't be left to trial and error for novices.

I'm working on a quipy tag, but for now this will have to do:  What good is success without a successor?

When I was younger (and smarter), I quipped, How rong can it be and still be wright ???

Habanero Smoker

SmokenTexan; welcome to the board.

Adding a fan is on my long to do list. Your project looks interesting. I just have a comment about placing the fan on the side, or inside the "V"drip pan the that will blow air parallel to the "V" drip pan, and/or suck more air through the generator opening. The slots on that pan run parallel, by locating the fan in the position you suggest, I would think that it would allow too much air to blow directly on and across the bisquettes, causing them to burn hotter and faster.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

QuoteThanks again to everyone on the fourum you guys know your stuff. I would post some pictures but I dont know how.
E-mail them to me and I will host them for you.
Olds