• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing Venison?

Started by MRH, October 07, 2006, 05:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

Quote from: Buck36 on January 25, 2008, 03:15:49 PM
Would there be any advantage to cold smoking after the cure? I was wondering if it could then be sliced like canadian bacon and all the cooking done in the skillet. A hot and fast fry might help retain some more moisture.   

I don't know if it would or not never tried a cold smoke.  The time I did it it was plenty moist, and tasty.

Mark

coyote

MRH , That looks great ! If it taste just half as good as it looks.....What a meal !

Great job , Coyote

pensrock

MRH,
  I have done venison loins just like you describe. Cold smoke maybe allow internal temp to get up to 100-120 degreees. Then sliced and pan fried. It came out great.

Buck36

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am excited to try this one!!

Stickbowcrafter

You mentioned in the first post about using a back quarter of a deer. A friend of mine does them every year in a brine, almost exactly like a ham from a pork rear quarter. Turns out really tasty. Looks like your loin turned out great. Nice work.

-Brian

hotrod

well here goes nothing.... took a few recipes. from this site and around and well will call it the true Alberta red neck ... Deer Jerky cure....   Hoping for the best .... everything from worchestersire... to  soy sauce... to red wine... to...   brown sugar....lil hot sauce just for that lil kick!!  will see what happens .. taking pictures so will know by tommorrow when i light up my new toy!!!  anyone done turkey jerky  its next when im done with my 40 lbs of deer i have all week!!!   feel free to email me

Cheers
Rod

coyote

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hotrod ,Light'em up and let the smoke roll on that high speed beef ! 8)

Welcome aboard ,
                                                                                          Coyote

hotrod

well here goes number #2 batch... doubled the meat doubled the recipe and added some chili peppers and fresh garlic... Had to take a break eating the first batch wow its good tho lol... will be startin the smoker in the morning and see how this one goes.... cutting strips out of 40lbs is going to take me all day its just may go back in the freezer!!  Easters coming anyone made Turkey jerky?  might get into smokin a breast or two... its another week got to get my smokin done cause mexico is getting booked today!!!  Keep the forum rollin cheers
Rod

Stickbowcrafter

We need pictures!!!  ;D

-Brian