• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing Venison?

Started by MRH, October 07, 2006, 05:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

I had a breif conversation with a guy the other day.  He said he uses a deer  back quarter and cures it using a brine with Morton Tender Quick and that it turns out really good and people really eat it up!  I never got to talk specifics with just kinda a few comments walking out of a sporting goods store.  Has anybody tried this?  My son shot a small buck last weekend during the youth season and I have been thinking of trying part of the loin with some Buckboard Bacon cure. ;D

Mark

MRH

Got the loin out to thaw I will try it with the BBB and let everybody know how it turns out. ::)

Mark

iceman

Quote from: MRH on October 07, 2006, 09:16:21 AM
Got the loin out to thaw I will try it with the BBB and let everybody know how it turns out. ::)

Mark
Curious to see how it turns out. Are you going to put some bacon fat or other fat on top of it to keep it from drying out?

MRH

Ice,

Haven' thought that far ahead yet, I just got the BBB on it and it is back in the fridge.  I probably should try wrapping it in some bacon when I smoke it though.  It is only 1.5 lbs piece so that should be easy to do.  I will let all here know how it comes out for sure.

Mark

SmokinScott

Sounds good.  Let us know how it turns out i am all ways looking for something to do with deer.

coyote

MRH,
      You got my attention, let us know...............LOVE THAT HIGH SPEED BEEF !!!!!!!!

Coyote

MRH

Probably later in the week i will smoke... I will let all of know how it is.... maybe even some pics ;)

Mark

whitetailfan

Can you enlighten us on your procedure so far?
Just a TQ brine? any spices?  did you follow the package directions for concentration of brine?
What part of the deer did you brine?  Any idea on the smoking process you plan to use?  Hot?  what temp in cabinet what temp in meat?

If you want to do a wrap up only that's fine, but you got me curious.  I may even do some fresh this year instead of freezing if it sounds like a winner........
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MRH

Whitetail Fan,

It is part of the loin (1.5 lbs)  I used the Buckboard bacon according to the directions and placed it in the fridge in a ziplock bag on Sunday night 10-08-06.  Saturday was the 6th day, and turned it over for more curing ( I know directions say 5 days, I forgot)  Last night I decided to do the rinsing at day 9 (Not the 10 days recomended but it isn't that big) I rinsed it then soaked it for a hour, then rinsed it again and soaked it for 2.5 more hours gave it another rinse and put it back into the refrigerator.  I plan to smoke it tonight with either hickory or maple that is why I rinsed and soaked last night didn't want to be up all night!  So I will get home give it one last rinse then wrap it with some bacon to help keep it from drying out and smoke at 205 degrees until I hit a internal of 155  and hope for the best.  I will try to take some pics to post with the end result.

Mark

MRH

It is in the smoker now , been there for about a hour so far.  I did do one other thing to it before I put the bacon on it I sprayed it with about 8 sprays of that liquid garlic juice stuff, which pretty much covered it all over. I had one lonely apple puck to start with then the rest are maple.  Here is a picture of it when I started it in the Bradley ;D  Keeping my fingers crossed on this!!

Mark

MRH

Got it finished last night at midnight a little longer then I was hoping for it took 6 hours total with a cold smoker starting to finish.  I did bump up the smoker temp to 210 for the last hourto a internal temp of 155.  Put it in the fridge. removed the bacon strips, cut it and took pics this morning, then tasted it it was very good just like a lean ham ;)  The bacon did its job it wasn't a bit dried out.  Will do more this way in the future.

Mark

Arcs_n_Sparks

MRH,

Very nice. Unfortunately, my breakfast this morning is just coffee.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Buck36

Looking back on some old posts  ;D

MRH,

Did you try this method this past year? I am wanting to try it with some backstraps but am looking for any possible additional advice.

MRH

Buck36,

I haven't done any this year yet. (Have some in the freezer)  It was real easy to do and turned out well, any questions, just fire away!

Mark

Buck36

Would there be any advantage to cold smoking after the cure? I was wondering if it could then be sliced like canadian bacon and all the cooking done in the skillet. A hot and fast fry might help retain some more moisture.