The BS Owner's Manual, questioning some of their direction????

Started by BillyG, October 11, 2006, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyG

I've seen quite a few recipes that call for the ribs to be smoked for about 3 hours, then wrapped in foil and placed back in the BS without smoke to finish cooking.  The OM says not to put any type of aluminum pans etc in the smoker as it can damage the unit???  What I'm thinking is this is just a C.Y.A. issue but want to be sure. 

Should the smoke generator be turned off when there's any type of pan in the BS???  For instance, the above recipe for ribs.  Or if I want to smoke some brats to almost fully cooked then put them in a beer bath in an aluminum pan and return it to the BS w/the generator off am I safe???

bubbagump

Chez Bubba

Billy,

IMO, it's CYA & lawyer-speak. If they tell you it's OK to put a pan in there, some dumbass will put a pan just as big as the smoker is, trap all of the heat below it, and melt down his smoker or worse.

Being a package of baby backs would only take up about 1/2 the rack space, I'm guessing that it would provide adequate heat-flow and that's why the sharks allowed it.

I hate it that society has come to this level, but if you don't state the completely obvious to obvious fools, some lawyer somewhere can find 12 people who will find you negligent. :(

By the way, don't take any of my advice on anything, ever. I am not a professional. To consider what spews forth my mouth as knowledge may cause physical or mental harm and/or property damage. ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

If you decide to wrap your ribs in foil add a little apple juice to the foil and some cheap honey or turbinado sugar.  make sure you place the meat side down into the juice and honey or sugar.  This will braise the ribs some so don't over cook them.  the method I use is 3 hours of smoke at 225f.  Wrap in the foil for 1 hour in the smoker with no smoke.  Take the ribs out of the foil and back in the smoker with no smoke for another hour or until the ribs are done to your likeness.

P.S.  After the foil there will be juice in the foil so don't burn yourself ;D.  Sauce the ribs 2-3 times during the last hour if ya want sauce on them ;).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.