A Wild hair idea popped up

Started by MRH, October 16, 2006, 02:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

Well the other day I got to thinking..... A real scary thing at times :o, and decided I needed to try something else with my Bradley.  Just in the planning and getting stuff to do it stage right now. What I am planning is to make a small hood mounted above the smoker with a bathroom exhaust fan (that I just won on E-Bay) in it and mount it to the cart I built that the smoker sits on.  I figure then I can use it in the shop or anyplace else that I can run the duct outside. Now I take it to a addition on the shop that is open at the eave, but my daughters bunnies live in there :( They will probably get a smokers cough ;D  Anyhow I was wondering if anybody else has done something like this and how it worked for them.  I know Owrstrich has his rigged up to smoke inside but if I remember right it might be a different set up then what I will try.

Mark

Oyènkwara

Check out this recent post by Mr Walleye:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4142.0

This is similar to your thoughts .... Interesting idea

coyote

MRH, I'm not to technically sound , but the idea of pre-smoking the bunnies BEFORE the harvest
is something to think about.(lol)
                                                                 Coyote

MRH

Coyote,  i would have a big fight with my daughter to even try to butcher her pets ;D  Wild ones are a different story though!

Mark

MRH

Oyènkwara

Yes I am thinking sorta on the same lines as MR Walleye, only I am hoping not to use a pipe in between the fan and smoker.  The whole outfit will be mounted on the cart that the smoker sits on with some sort of flexible duct to poke out a hole or window etc.

Mark

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MRH on October 17, 2006, 05:38:16 AM
Oyènkwara

Yes I am thinking sorta on the same lines as MR Walleye, only I am hoping not to use a pipe in between the fan and smoker.  The whole outfit will be mounted on the cart that the smoker sits on with some sort of flexible duct to poke out a hole or window etc.

Mark
I've been tinkering with plans to build a cabinet for my BS, and I was planning on using flexible duct hose to vent the smoke out instead of using an exhaust fan. Instead of a pipe, why not use the flexible duct, and attach the flexible duct to the top of the BS with the use of either magnetic strips (sort of like the magnetic seal on the door), or a few magnets attached around the perimeter of the duct. That way you can easily lift up the duct to adjust the vent, or when you want to move the BS.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MRH

I was thinking more on the order of a welding hood type of thing with the Bradley being in the open on all sides (No pipe hopefully, I worded that post kinda bad)  and since the smoke rises the fan would draw it into the hood and blow thru a flexible duct to whever I have it poked out of the building.  No draft issues hopefully, like gusts of wind from outside causing it smoke back in thru the smoke generator etc.  We will see, all these other ideas has the old wheels turning though ;D

Mark

owrstrich

whatever you do... you gotta make sure the fan does not suck the smoke out of the box... i use a duct but i have a gap between the box top vent and the duct so the the smoke is not pulled from the box...

i have used two different kinds of range hoods... in duct range hood fan... and a 20" box fan...

the box fan and duct has never let me down because it exhausts all migratory smoke and odors... i put the box fan in the window... it was  box... duct... box fan to open window...

the induct range hood fan works really well vented out the window... however sometimes the prevailing wind is more powerful than the fan causing back drafting... it was box... induct fan duct to open window...

one range hood and duct was not powerful enough to push the smoke up the attic vent pipe to the outside so i had smoke back drafting into the room... it was box... duct... range vent to outside...

one range hood and duct was powerful enough to push the smoke up the attic vent pipe to the outside... no back drafting... it was box... duct... range vent to outside...

one range hood worked good... it vented into the attic instead of the outside... i didnt know it did that until i saw smoke coming from  the soffit vents... it was box... duct... range vent to attic...

so... what ever you do... make sure you have relief for the suction if you are going the ducted route.. pulling the smoke and moisture out of the box can have an adverse effect on the beast...

sh1t man... i always have a trap in my duct to collect moisture... once i got 1/2 gal of water traped in it on one of those 32lb 24hr smokes...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

bubbagump

MRH,

A couple of things to consider.

If using a bathroon exhaust fan, remember that it's not designed to exhaust smoke and grease. So if you use one you will have to include a filter like those on range hoods. Without it the internals of you exhaust fan will become gummed up with grease and it can also become a fire hazard.

Also, as a safety precaution, since the the exhaust fan will also be venting varying levels of moisture, it would be wise to be sure that it is always plugged into a GFCI protected circuit or receptacle.

:)

Bubbagump

MRH

I wondered about the smoke and the fan possibly getting gummed up,  (Maybe I need to incorporate a filter on the fan then).  I got the fan for $13.50 shipped and it is new in the box, it is 50cfm. The gfci is probably the way to go also, I was thinking about wiring a outlet of some kind into the cart and having a cord to plug the cart in and have everything basically self contained with just the one cord powering everything on the cart.  More to think about for sure.

Thanks for all the ideas,
Mark