Apple Jack

Started by BigSmoker, October 26, 2006, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Per icemans request I will give the details as given to me for this delightful apple flavored liquor.  1st thing is you need some essential equipment. 

1.  6 gallon glass carboy
2.  carboy stopper
3.  airlock

All of these items(minus the cider, honey and raisins ;D listed below)should be avaliable at a local brew or wine making shop.

1st with any home brew or wine making all your equipment must be throughly sanatized ;) first and foremost.  This is very important.  After that it's pretty easy.  Buy 5 gallons premium apple cider, 12lbs of flavorful honey, a medium box of raisins, 2 packs of premium wine yeast and some yeast nutrient.  Pour the cider, honey and a cup and a half of raisins into the sanatized carboy.  Add yeast and yeast nutrient.  Plug in the stopper and insert airlock(the stopper has a hole for the airlock).  Try and keep the carboy at about 68-70 degrees for fermenting this particuliar concoction.  Then sit back and wait and wait and wait and wait.  Eventually the alcohol content will become so high the yeast will die.  2-6 months :o :o :o depending on your temperature.  The nutrient will help keep the yeast more active hopefully reducing your times around the 2 month range.  Once fermentation is complete(you will know this because the air lock won't be releasing any more CO2 and you won't see anymore bubbles coming from the liquid itself.  Once completed its time to clarify the liquid.  This will send all suspended stuff in the liquid to the bottom.  I don't have the info on this at the moment but I will have it before yours is ready if you try this ;D.  Once its clarified, pour off the desired amount of Apple Jack into a freezer safe container(leaving some space for expansion) and freeze it for 2-3 days.  After this drain off whats not frozen and enjoy :P.  It should be a semi-syrupy liquor ;D.  Careful its pretty strong ;D. 

Note:  This is my 1st batch of this so.....  but I did get the recipe from a BBQ friend who has been making home brew since the 70's.  I had some he made and it was excellent.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Vampyr

Now that sounds tasty!!  :D  I wanna give this recipe a try.  Do you throw out the frozen stuff? or is there some other use for it?  Either way it sounds good.

pfowl01

WOW :o I'm definetly gonna have to try that sometime ;D

winemakers

Have you heard about any issues with getting the fermentation started?  Unfortunately, around here all I can get is cider that has been sulfited already.  Big brother is watching out for our health again?!  The sulfite is included to suppress any of those naturally occuring yeasts, and I am curious regarding your ability to get the yeast strain you desire cookin'.  Seems like a few gallons of hard cider would be really welcome.

thanks

Quote from: BigSmoker on October 26, 2006, 05:16:29 PM
Per icemans request I will give the details as given to me for this delightful apple flavored liquor.  1st thing is you need some essential equipment. 

1.  6 gallon glass carboy
2.  carboy stopper
3.  airlock

All of these items(minus the cider, honey and raisins ;D listed below)should be avaliable at a local brew or wine making shop.

1st with any home brew or wine making all your equipment must be throughly sanatized ;) first and foremost.  This is very important.  After that it's pretty easy.  Buy 5 gallons premium apple cider, 12lbs of flavorful honey, a medium box of raisins, 2 packs of premium wine yeast and some yeast nutrient.  Pour the cider, honey and a cup and a half of raisins into the sanatized carboy.  Add yeast and yeast nutrient.  Plug in the stopper and insert airlock(the stopper has a hole for the airlock).  Try and keep the carboy at about 68-70 degrees for fermenting this particuliar concoction.  Then sit back and wait and wait and wait and wait.  Eventually the alcohol content will become so high the yeast will die.  2-6 months :o :o :o depending on your temperature.  The nutrient will help keep the yeast more active hopefully reducing your times around the 2 month range.  Once fermentation is complete(you will know this because the air lock won't be releasing any more CO2 and you won't see anymore bubbles coming from the liquid itself.  Once completed its time to clarify the liquid.  This will send all suspended stuff in the liquid to the bottom.  I don't have the info on this at the moment but I will have it before yours is ready if you try this ;D.  Once its clarified, pour off the desired amount of Apple Jack into a freezer safe container(leaving some space for expansion) and freeze it for 2-3 days.  After this drain off whats not frozen and enjoy :P.  It should be a semi-syrupy liquor ;D.  Careful its pretty strong ;D. 

Note:  This is my 1st batch of this so.....  but I did get the recipe from a BBQ friend who has been making home brew since the 70's.  I had some he made and it was excellent.