New Digital 6 owner- Insulated Shed?

Started by tooljunkie3j, November 03, 2006, 04:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooljunkie3j

Hello all. I am in Iowa. My first smoke last weekend went perfectly. I tried searching this question.( probably around somewhere but rookie to the site) I wondered if any one has built a closely fitted wooden shed with double walls and the blue hard foam house insulation material sandwiched in. My smoker will stay outside, and while we aren't northern Canada or Alaska, we get some pretty cold winter days and nights here. I've been drawing up a plan thet would enclose the body of the smoker with front door and a housing that would cover the generator so that the cold wouldn't hinder the mechanism- top door access for it for loading bisquettes. By the way, my unit worked just as designed with no surprises or glitches of any kind. This weekend will be jerky- using up my venison burger. Thanks for your input. JET

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

West Coast Kansan

Greetings and welcome.  If you do a search on 'storage' and another on 'garage' you will see some good ideas. Car54 may have something like you are describing. Mr Walleye has a real neat set up.

Spent my first 18 years in Estherville IA

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

icerat4

West coast.Whats wrong with my lil smoke house. ;D ;D.I even have a ice skate sharpner in it. ;D And 2 smokers and a bunch of stuff that smell like oak alder hickory .LOL ;D ;D

West Coast Kansan

I am just too jealous ... especially the smoke in the picture. I want, I want, makes me cry  :'(

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

icerat4

Makes me wana cry too :'(   All the smoke thats in there.When these 2 smokers are going its pretty smokie in that barn.I need to put a fan in there but .I like the smoke smell when walkin in.Thrid smoker should be in by xmas.I have been doing alot of food as of late.So 1 more smoker is needed.With that thrid smoker going ill really need the fan.Other wise this rat will die. ;D ;D

terryrichards

My thought was on my bench in the garage I was going to put the smoker and run 4 or 5 inch aluminized dryer vent or the insulated dryer vent up the wall through the attic and out on of the garage roof vents. A 25' flexable section is around $18.00 at Menards. I would get a flange and liquid nail it to the top of the BS so I don't have to drill any holes and I could always take the BS somewhere else and use it still. That way I don't have to worry about the wind, snow, sleet, or rain. Plus I can check the smoker in my undies if necessary.

Plus the other bonus would be when I go to check on it my clothes would not get smokey unless I open the door of course. That way I don't have to worry about my wife complain about the smell of my clothes. She says it gives her an instant headache.

TR

MRH

tooljunkie3j,

Sounds like a neat idea.  I am in IA too and usually put it in a lean too off my shop to get it out of the wind and it works pretty good when it gets cold.  I am still pretty new to this too.  I want to try to vent the smoker some way so I can put it in the shop with everything shut up, so the smoke will vent outside.

Mark

car54

Welcome Jet,

Your idea seems to be good, it will not hurt any thing. I keep my outside by the back door in a mini shed. It is always ready to use with no set up.I have smoked at 20 below zero with no problems. I think that keeping it out of the wind helps.

Try this link http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3588.0

Brad

West Coast Kansan

Try the liquid nails to a sheet of plywood so you can get your bradley loose when desired.