Rub for nuts !!

Started by Dalby Spook, November 06, 2006, 08:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Any folks out there have a recipe for hot & spicey rub for nuts. Sort of southern BBQ flavour with plenty of heat is what I like. Have seen one called Swamp Venom that looked the part but they don't ship to England.

Also which nuts smoke best? Iv'e done raw cashews that were ok if a little overdone. (4 hours cold) and roast salted peanuts which are promising.

John
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

Oyènkwara

Folks on the forum have (myself included) had good results smoking Pistachios. One warning, once you start eating them you cannot stop ;D.

Do a search on Pistachio and you will find info on a variety of seasonings...

Have fun!

Tom

boxertrio

Here's a link for ya, I tumble peanuts with Bad Byrons Butt Rub for a while the add a little smoke with good results.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Habanero Smoker

John,

I came across this recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108222

It sounds like it can be easily made in the BS, and it looks like a good recipe to play around with. I haven't made this, but if I did I would use a 1/4 cup of maple syrup instead of egg whites, and reduce the sugar; and definitely would use the chipotle powder instead of chili powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

I have used an oven based variation of this style many times.  Cumin, garlic/onion powder, kosher salt, tai or other pumped up chili powders jsut some of the variants.  Love to toast the cumin and other seeds in a frying pan first then grind.  I havent done this in the BS but this holiday season for sure.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 07, 2006, 03:26:41 AM
John,

I came across this recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108222

It sounds like it can be easily made in the BS, and it looks like a good recipe to play around with. I haven't made this, but if I did I would use a 1/4 cup of maple syrup instead of egg whites, and reduce the sugar; and definitely would use the chipotle powder instead of chili powder.

ceeuawlsune

Haberno - Any reason why you'd substitute the egg whites & sugar with maple syrup? 

I've had *excellent* results using a virtually identical "spiced-frothy-egg-white" recipe, only I mixed super-fine (caster) sugar in with the whites (be careful not to overbeat, and work quickly as you don't want to let the white mixture sit long).  I fear the maple syrup won't dry as well as the whites do?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ceeuawlsune on December 15, 2006, 07:24:04 PM
Haberno - Any reason why you'd substitute the egg whites & sugar with maple syrup? 

I've had *excellent* results using a virtually identical "spiced-frothy-egg-white" recipe, only I mixed super-fine (caster) sugar in with the whites (be careful not to overbeat, and work quickly as you don't want to let the white mixture sit long).  I fear the maple syrup won't dry as well as the whites do?
Mainly because of the way that I would store then nuts. I store my smoked nuts on the shelf, and was a bit concerned using eggs white, though reading the recipe again, there seems to be enough salt and sugar in the recipe as a preservative. Using maple syrup, the nuts will be tacky to the touch, and stick together but separate easily.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)