• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pheasant

Started by Malc, November 09, 2006, 08:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

QuoteGlad you guys are still with us.  I love Pheasant.  Unavailable to me here.  I have not had one in over 20 years.
Anybody have a good recipe for these?  This was posted on another forum, and my buddy was just asking me about this the other day.  I don't hunt (no objections to it, I just never have ;)), but he does.  He bags these all the time and is looking for new ways to cook them. I told him we could experiment if he didn't mind donating the birds, but it would be nice to have a little to go on.  Thanks.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Chez Bubba

Malc,

Their skin is so thin, I don't know anyone who tries to pluck them, and even then, it would probably not add too much protection to the meat. I'd cold smoke then cook by another method. If you want to hot smoke, the bacon drip is a must.

Smoked pheasant is the food of the gods & especially tastes better when you've blown the little ba***rds out of the sky after tromping through miles of corn rows. ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Malc

Thanks, if he comes up with the birds I will post what we do.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

winemakers

Based on the success of our annual 'out west' pigramage, I have done pheasant breasts the same way as duck.  Pound lightly to flatten a pair of breasts (naturally, one is never enough).  place a stuffing of your choice, I favor feta mashed completely with any or all of the following: thyme, rosemary, dill, etc.  Cover with the second breast, wrap with bacon and apply the BS majic!

mld

jaeger

winemaker,
You should post that recipe on the recipe site. It sounds really good!
I went out Thurs. and got a few pheasants but with the change in weather and the snow here today, Smokehouse Robs White Chili with smoked pheasant sounds like just the ticket!

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jaeger

Pheasants (boneless) are smoked. I basted with butter and a chicken rub. I smoked for 2 hours with temp at about 175f and finished in the oven in a covered pan @ 250f. They stayed nice and moist and have a NICE smoke taste.
Now the decision for Sunday, make chili or ...........hunt pheasants again! :o

winemakers

(Now the decision for Sunday, make chili or ...........hunt pheasants again! :o)

that's a no-brain decision!  If you are in the land of the chinese chicken, this is the time to whack-em!  Had my lab pup out Saturday for his first hunt.  Unfortunately in the rust belt of Cleveland, it is public land with released birds.  Having said that, there is no greater thrill than seeing your dog working well and (mostly) listening to voice and whistle!

mld

jaeger

winemakers,
nothing wrong with pen raised birds, especially for a new pup. Just wait til he gets that first bird in his mouth, the lights will really turn on for him!!!