Want More Jerky!

Started by Scotty-G, November 24, 2006, 04:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Been making jerky lately and have noticed that the 4 trays will hold about 2lbs total.  If I get a second set of trays and invert them ontop of the 4 existing trays, I might be able to double to 4 lbs.  But there's  lots of unused space in the smoker.  Since the jerky is not very much meat mass any thoughts on how I can get more trays into the BS? ???
Thanks
Scotty-G

Habanero Smoker

Inverting trays to double up your smoking space is the best solution. Many of us have used that method with success. I mainly use that method when smoking chicken wings, legs and thighs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Scotty

You must be really spreading the jerky out on the racks. I invert my second set of racks and when making jerky usually I can get about 7 to 8 lbs in. This is ground beef style jerky. I also do about 10 lbs of snack sticks at a time. I do have to rotate things around a bit because it is fairly full. I'm in the process of adding the circulation fan to eliminate this.

To answer your question I don't see why you couldn't continue to stack the racks. Once you have inverted the second rack, you would just need a spacer such as a 1" x 2" by the depth of the rack placed on the side edges on the inverted rack and you could put another 2 racks on top.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

whitetailfan

I agree with walleye, you must be spacing quite far, or slicing quite thin.  I can get up to 5 lbs whole muscle, and if you do 3 to 4 it fits pretty well.  The inverted racks are the simplest solution, and that idea is actually somewhere on the main bradley site or in the manual, its not an original idea from the forum.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: whitetailfan on December 06, 2006, 08:23:51 AM
and that idea is actually somewhere on the main bradley site or in the manual, its not an original idea from the forum.

And what makes that a particularly sad fact is that most of their dealers don't even know what the extra racks are for. Customers have told me they got responses like "Well, I don't know, but we sell a lot of them, so they must be good for something." ::) ::)

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Scotty-G

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I have been tossing around an idea in my head to create a box frame adapter that will fit in the BS instead of the 4 baskets and will hold several shelves of jerky.  Any thoughts, advice, etc?