• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Really big ham questions

Started by KARENCOOKS, November 27, 2006, 03:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KARENCOOKS

So its time to come to the experts for advice. You guys have been quite a load of information already, the bacon it just terrific thanks to your information. Ribs are the best on the block, and everything else I have done gets rave reviews.

So now its time for the BIG deal. I'll line out what I have done, and if you would kindly tell me if I'm going to kill my family and friends or if I'm on the right track.....

I have 2- 19 lb :o, fresh pork legs, I injected them with 10%, by weight, maple ham cure from The Sausage Makers.com. They are now resting in the brine, for the next 7-14 days, or ?. Then I will smoke them for about 24 hours, 8 on heat, no smoke, 8 with smoke, and 8 or so more until 148 degrees internal.

Several questions: should I leave the skin on for smoking or take it off, or should I have already taken it off, (I hope not, that will be a big mess to take off then brine again.

There's not a lot of guidance on the brining time, I have seen anywhere from 2 days to 60 days, how do I know when to take it out?

If I brine them for 3 weeks, or until about the 17th of December, smoke them until the 18th-19th, and I'm going to refrigerate them until christmas and heat them through for service, is the 148 degrees at initial temp too high.

I know its a lot to ask, but you guys always seem to provide excellent information. Thanks, and even if I get no answers I'll let you know how they come out.

Thanks a million,  Karen

Wildcat

Wow!  This is way over my head, but I am confident that someone will be able to help you out.  Good luck. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pipsqueek

I recently smoked an 18lb leg and would highly recommend the Dizzy Pig Home Cured Ham recipe, and yes, unfortunately, they do remove the skin.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html

Habanero Smoker

Karen;

Let me know how this works out. One of my nieces keeps harassing me to make a smoked ham. I don't have any information to add at this time, but sure other's will be contributing. If I find any information I will pass it on to you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

QuoteAs the ham approaches your target temperature, (we went for 160, but in hindsight, I'd aim more for the mid-140's), it's time to get your glaze ready. I would recommend starting to apply the glaze about 10 degrees shy of your ideal finishing temperature.

What is this about the mid 140's, are they expecting a lot residual cooking after???  Or frankly did I just have my head up my pin-feathers when I read that.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ceeuawlsune

Karen - I, too, have a raw ham in my refrigerator.  I'm waiting on pink salt (www.sausagemaker.com - where it is called InstaCure), to begin my brine.  I'm following a recipe out of a book that I highly recommend, called Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn.  Some of their recipes are very complicated, but I find the book highly informative regarding basic, time-proven techniques.

For example, they suggest half day/pound (450 grams) for brine...

Also, they do not call for the skin to be removed.  However, they do suggest a step that you didn't mention: after removing from brine, rinse, dry and place on wire rack over sheet pan in refrigerator, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours.  The reason for this air-drying is explained in the book, too.  I believe it results in a crispier skin/better smoke penetration.  Also, since you didn't mention it, these guys suggest 200. 

Last thing - they also smoke until internal temp is 155.

Interested to know how yours turns out.  I'm nervously eyeing that giant chunk of meat on the bottom shelf of the fridge...

Habanero Smoker

Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn is an excellent book for the home cook and those who want to advance their curing experience. I purchased it after Manxman recommended it. I don't find any of the recipes complicated, though some can be time consuming. They break every thing down into understandable steps, and many of the methods have sections in which the process is illustrated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteI don't find any of the recipes complicated, though some can be time consuming. They break every thing down into understandable steps, and many of the methods have sections in which the process is illustrated.

Yes, I agree. Some look a bit daunting at first sight and some look like they are time consuming but not overly complicated IMHO. :)
Manxman

KARENCOOKS

Thanks for the feedback, I do have "Charcuterie" and forgot that they do a large ham in it. I'm going to use part of their method and part from several sources. The hams are in the brine, and will stay there untill the 9th of Dec. When they come out of the brine they will have been in there for 12 days, hope that's not too long, if ther'e too salty, I guess I'll have to rinse/soak them for a bit.
The air dry time will give me the opportunity to kind of "stage" the smoking as they both won't fit in the BS at the same time. I think the air dry time referenced is the equalivilant to the 8 hrs at 140, no smoke that my other source referred to.

I'm also doing bacon and panchetta this week, both from Charcuterie, the panchetta looks terrific, more rubbed on it than just garlic and pepper, this should be wonderful when finished. The bacon gets smoked this weekend and the panchetta has to be rolled and then hung in the basement for about a week. This smokin' stuff is more work than I thought!! :)

I'll keep you posted on the hams, they are coming along good, so far.

Thanks for the suggestions,   keep em' coming

Karencooks

MallardWacker

QuoteI'm also doing bacon and panchetta this week,

Please keep us up on this also....

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Karen,

Since I have purchased the book, the pancetta also has been on my list of things to cure. Lately I have been concentrating on the various pork loin recipes.

Which cured ham recipe in Charcuterie are you modifying? You have me thinking of smoking one for my niece, for Christmas dinner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KARENCOOKS

The panchetta came out of the rub yesterday, I rolled the big square piece, tied it as instructed and have it hanging in the basement. It will hang there until the coming weekend. When I cut up the belly, I got a large rectangluar piece (the flat?) and a smaller, not quite rectangular piece (the point?) and when I trimmed them up I got 2 smaller end pieces. The flat is still in the bacon rub, I'll smoke it Tuesday and the point is rolled and hanging. The 2 end peices I used the same rub as for the panchetta and I'll use them up while the big piece is hanging. The flavor is terrific! Much like the product I have purchased from the Deli, but with stronger pepper. I don't know if its because I use Penzey's peppercorns or if the recipe calls for more pepper than commercially prepared panchetta. Either way, Its great.

No news on the hams yet, they are still in the brine, I'll take them out Saturday, and air dry them until Monday or Tuesday, and then smoke them until done. Based on my reading, I'll do 8 hrs @ 225, 8 hrs +- with smoke and then 8 more ar as needed @ 225. As I'm doing 2, the first one is the training wheels and the second one should be perfect. 

I'll keep you posted.

Karen

ceeuawlsune

You're absolutely right, Smoker of Haberno - the recipes in that book aren't complicated so much as they are time-consuming.  And Ruhlman & Polcyn do indeed break the processes down into very straightforward, understandable directions.

I suppose time-consuming recipes aren't an issue for "Really big ham" people...

Habanero Smoker

Well Karen, you've inspired me. I was able to get a hold of a 10 pound fresh ham; the shank portion, for $.99/lb.

I checked the ham curing recipes in Charcuterie, and they would not be much help in my case, since their recipe calls for anything for 7 weeks to 4 months, depending on the recipe you choose. I order some maple ham cure from Sausage Makers. My method of curing will depend on when my order arrives. I will either be able to use the premix cure, or use InstaCure, or as a last resort make a pickle brine from tender quick.

The pancetta sounds good. After the holidays I will have to try that one. Keep us posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Wow Habs, that sounds like fun food for sure. Let me know what you end up doing brine wise.