intermittent puck advance--cured!!

Started by tsquared, December 10, 2006, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

After 2 years of use, the last couple of smokes have been problematic because of an intermittent puck advance. I finally got around to taking the generator apart and plugged it in, pressing the advance button to see what happens. (I am a non-technical person, at best) The arm would sometimes move partway clockwise but not extend a full 180 from the contact. It would go out 90 degrees and then return to the contact point. The next couple of times it would go around 360 degrees counterclockwise from the contact and advance the puck just fine. I cleaned and blew it out as best I could and then applied stick lubricant to the black slide part. heyo presto--once again a dependable advance.
I got so pumped about having the smoker back working properly that i took out a mix of about 20 lbs of coho, sockeye and spring fillets to cold smoke for xmas. They are thawing as I type, I'll begin the dry cure tomorrow and smoke later this week. Scotch smoked salmon and single malt before an open fire...xmas heaven here I come!! ;D
T2

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: tsquared on December 10, 2006, 07:59:58 PM
Scotch smoked salmon and single malt before an open fire...xmas heaven here I come!! ;D
T2

Okay, I understand the single malt part.......   :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

iceman

Arcs, I think I have it figured out. If you "Open Fire" with a "Single Malt" you get "Proper Advance". :D ;D ;)

tsquared

Scotch smoked salmon is a type of lox, dry salt method. The way i do it involves rubbing off the salt and sugar cure with booze. Being of sound mind and palate, I use rum to rub off the dry cure and save the scotch to be applied internally!
T2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tsquared on December 11, 2006, 07:17:05 PM
Scotch smoked salmon is a type of lox, dry salt method. The way i do it involves rubbing off the salt and sugar cure with booze. Being of sound mind and palate, I use rum to rub off the dry cure and save the scotch to be applied internally!
T2

Do you use dark or light rum? I would seem that dark rum would be better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteDo you use dark or light rum?  I would seem that dark rum would be better.

On the couple of occasions I have done "Scottish" cold smoked salmon I have used dark/navy run. By light rum do you mean the Bacardi type rum HS? :)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

You may call it by a different name. In my area light rum is the clear rum of any brand (looks like vodka). Dark rum could be a variety of shades for a deep mahogany to a light amber.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

i usually use an amber Philippino rum--can't recall the name. I just checked my liquour cabinet and have none left! I do have a bottle of japanese scotch called "Hunter"!!?? that someone gave me.It's probably worthy of  rubbing on fish.  I just want to know if they have peat bogs in Japan?  :D I'll call this batch bonzai lox.
T2

Mplsgordon

I had a problem yesterday with the pucks not advancing. It's not a problem you want with $100 worth of baby backs in the smoker.

Mine's not even four months old yet!  I don't want to void the warranty by taking apart the generator.

I guess I'll call Bradley and see what they say.

Wildcat

Try blowing out any particles, turn upside down, etc.  Also be sure there is not too much buildup where the pucks advance to the burner.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Call Bradley is always a good thing. I learn something every time.  Also the feed tube can get bumped our of place - should be nice smooth surface with no edge to hold up a puck when it is fully installed all the way down.  I never move the tube but somehow it was pulled up a bit. Felt pretty silly but was easy fix. Good Luck.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Kummok

Quote from: Mplsgordon on December 15, 2006, 07:17:34 AM
......I don't want to void the warranty by taking apart the generator.......

I KNOW what you're saying Gordo.....I always have a big party when my warranties expire on cars/trucks/snowmachines/ refrigerators/everything else. I can then relax and tinker away with things, knowing that the warranty is history anyway! ;) ;D  I am sometimes quite amazed at how easy some things are to fix WITHOUT having to get it up to Anchorage, a 4 hour drive one-way (not counting "Winnabego-time" during tourist season ;)). Three Bradleys here and ALL of them have had the same problem with unreliable advancing, but regular cleaning and lubing keeps it at bay. Bradley has been absolutely #1 in backing up their product....don't think you'll have any problem at all with warranty when you call......

iceman

Call Bradley!!!!!! They are great at helping you out. Almost as good of service as Chez. ;) (I said almost) ;D