Stainless

Started by Infalable, December 11, 2006, 08:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

1st thread. Looking to buy my 1st smoker. Will buy a BS after Xmas. Cant wait. Is there an advantage of stainless steel over the regular model???? Also, Is the digital worth the extra $$. Thanks all.

West Coast Kansan

Stainless steel may be better in the sun to stay cool - heard you have to give it some attention to keep in pretty.  The origional vs digital is a toss up.  Digital may be easier if you have not smoked before but the same money gets you an origional with PID control. No wrong choice. IMO (I have the digital).

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

Hi Infalable and welcome to the forum,

I have the SS original model, not convinced it is worth the extra money over the black model as apart from looks as they are both exactly the same. Lets just say the SS is not the highest grade in the world and benefits from a bit of TLC to keep it looking good and more importantly lasting the distance.

I give mine a wipe over regularly with a damp cloth and a coating with a light oil to maintain the finish though most people probably give their BS's a wipe over from time to time in any case.

Original v digital ....... for example cold smoking is easier on the original, control is better on the digital straight from the box although the original does leave room to add to if you are so inclined as WCK said. The point I am making is that there are some advantages and disadvantages to both but whichever you get you will not be disappointed.

I use an original without any upgrades and it is excellent and quite capable of producing great food easily..... to my mind anything else is a bonus.

The other thing is that if you are working on a tight budget it may be better to get the cheapest BS model available and spend some extra $$'s on bubba pucks, the jerky racks, a separate (internal temp) meat thermometer and a wider range of wood bisquettes? Also as more money becomes available you can upgrade at leisure.

Food for thought??  ;)
Manxman

Wildcat

Quote from: manxman on December 12, 2006, 01:14:38 AM
Hi Infalable and welcome to the forum,

I have the SS original model, not convinced it is worth the extra money over the black model as apart from looks as they are both exactly the same. Lets just say the SS is not the highest grade in the world and benefits from a bit of TLC to keep it looking good and more importantly lasting the distance.

I give mine a wipe over regularly with a damp cloth and a coating with a light oil to maintain the finish though most people probably give their BS's a wipe over from time to time in any case.

Original v digital ....... for example cold smoking is easier on the original, control is better on the digital straight from the box although the original does leave room to add to if you are so inclined as WCK said. The point I am making is that there are some advantages and disadvantages to both but whichever you get you will not be disappointed.

I use an original without any upgrades and it is excellent and quite capable of producing great food easily..... to my mind anything else is a bonus.

The other thing is that if you are working on a tight budget it may be better to get the cheapest BS model available and spend some extra $$'s on bubba pucks, the jerky racks, a separate (internal temp) meat thermometer and a wider range of wood bisquettes? Also as more money becomes available you can upgrade at leisure.

Food for thought??  ;)
This is my opinion also.  With regard to the SS, I keep mine indoors when not in use and a simple wipe down keeps mine looking like new.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Infalable

Thanks for the comments. I think I will purchase the basic model. My plans are for briskets and ribs and I will be a weekend smoker, but not every week. I like the idea of have many different bisquettes.

Also, I thought briskets took like 20 hours to smoke but many threads show folks smoking from 5 to 10 hours. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Gizmo

Typical Smoke time is around 4 hours.  The rest of the time is cooking which varies on the product.
I also agree with the others on the type and features and would save the money for an original (I have a digital) and upgrade to an internal PID for a controller.  I usually finish long cooks (after the 4 hours of smoke) in the oven as it is convection and dead on heat control.  Don't have to get the feet wet in the middle of the night either if it started to drizzle out. ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteThanks for the comments. I think I will purchase the basic model. My plans are for briskets and ribs and I will be a weekend smoker, but not every week. I like the idea of have many different bisquettes.

Also, I thought briskets took like 20 hours to smoke but many threads show folks smoking from 5 to 10 hours. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Good luck Infalable, let us know how you get on.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Infalable,

Welcome to the forum. Just wanted to add that each pucks smokes for about twenty minutes, so in an hour you will burn 3 of them. A typical smoke of four hours requires 12 pucks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Infalable

Gizmo mentioned a PID. Since I am new here please expail what a PID is. Its like being in the Army again. An acronym for everything.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Infalable on December 16, 2006, 02:37:48 PM
Gizmo mentioned a PID. Since I am new here please expail what a PID is. Its like being in the Army again. An acronym for everything.

Infalable,

Welcome to the forum. PID stands for Proportional, Integral, Derivative, . It is a type of control scheme that smoothly applies a control (in this case, power) to maintain a setpoint (in our case, temperature). This approach is distinct from say a thermostat, that applies on/off control around a setpoint (like your house thermostat).

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

QuoteAlso, I thought briskets took like 20 hours to smoke but many threads show folks smoking from 5 to 10 hours. I guess I have a lot to learn
It all depends upon the poundage.... 10 pounds with FTC for me is close to 18 hours....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!