new to bradley

Started by smokin420, December 13, 2006, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin420

Hi I am going to buy a digital 6 rack smoker. I want the 6er so I can do lots at a time(jerky,salimi,peperoni). I am reading some post on here and they are adding an extra heat source in the bradley. Is it necessory? Does the 6 rack not put out enough heat? I plan on installing a fan too. Or should I just get the 4 rack and take more time? Any info would be great, thanks.  Great site guys, I will be on here lots.
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer

West Coast Kansan

Dont remember reading about anyone adding a second heat source to the 6r digital.  The circulation fan may be a good idea (for all models). I have a 4 and it has held a shocking amount of food. Gizmo has a 6R Digital and posts frequently ... I am sure he can add some pointers.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

QuoteDont remember reading about anyone adding a second heat source to the 6r digital.

No I don't remember this either. However I am sure you will be happy whichever model you go for, welcome to the forum smokin420.

I have the original model so can't comment on the digital ones, sure others will chip in though.
Manxman

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smokin420,

Welcome to the heat and smoke... :o

Agree with manxman, haven't seen anyone adding heat to the sixer, but would not be surprised with all the smoke heads here.

As was mentioned, the four shelf unit holds quite a bit. I myself have never maxed it out. Of course, I am still experimenting for the next 10 years...... 8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum. 

I agree with the others regarding amount of racks and how much they hold.  I had planned to get a 6 rack initially when I purchased mine due to the same concerns, but after reading info on this forum, I went with the Stainles 4 rack.  I have yet to use any more that 2 racks, but then again, I currently have a family of 3 with an occassional guest.  Even if I did find a need for more smoking shelves, I think I would rather get a second smoker.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Also bear in mind that with the 4 rack models you can actually get up to 8 racks in by inverting a set and placing on top of the initial 4.

Obviously this depends on what you are smoking but is useful for smoking fillets of fish, ribs and cheese for example that are not too thick. Not suitable for thicker big pieces of meat like hams, chickens etc.

I have done this a few times successfully, mostly when cold smoking but occasionally when hot smoking. :)
Manxman

smokin420

thanks for the replys, I am going to buy the digital 4 rack instead.
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer