Raw Apple Cake

Started by Habanero Smoker, December 17, 2006, 05:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Olds;

I've been asked to bring a Marlboro Pie to the family gathering at Christmas, and I starting thinking about your Raw Apple Cake.
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?s=27542191aa1ad6c67f1a48004660de83&t=58

I am going to make that also, but after looking at the recipe I have a couple of questions:

1) Do the eggs provide enough moisture, or is a liquid ingredient missing.
2) Is it possible to use two 8x8 cake pans.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ceeuawlsune

Habster -

Don't forget that four cups of apples exude an incredible amount of liquid as they cook, ensuring a moist cake.  Also, the butter/shortening will help, but most of the moisture will come from the eggs and apples.

There's no reason you couldn't use an 8x8 pan.  Adjust cooking time (down) accordingly.

Also, I'm not sure I'd leave the peel on my apples.  I'd use Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored & cut into approximately 3/4" cubes (i.e., cut apple into 8ths lengthways, then thirds, cutting widthways - you should end up with 24 "cubes" per apple).

If you wanted to add more moisture (say you don't think the cake was moist enough), you could definitely add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 C. pure maple syrup to the cake batter (be sure to reduce sugar accordingly).  My guesstimate would be lower total sugar in recipe to 1.25 C sugar and add 1 C. maple syrup.  I realize this is "higher" than 2 C, but the syrup is a different animal altogether from sugar.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the reply. I made the cake the other day. I have a grand-niece who bakes real well. She looked at the recipe and felt it didn't need any extra liquid, but it would be difficult to divide into two 8x8 pans. She went on line and Googled "Raw Apple Cake" and came up with a ton of hits. She sorted through them, selected a couple, maded some adjustments, and the cake came out great. She will not allow me to post the recipe, it's hers and I have to respect that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ceeuawlsune

Difficult to fit into two 8x8's because there wasn't enough batter, or was there some other reason you were worried about using 8x8's that sent your grand-niece looking for help? 

If the batter was short, I would have just doubled the recipe (or 1.5x the recipe).  No reason not to double the recipe, make your two 8x8's and use any remaining batter for muffins...

Can you tell me if she used maple syrup?

If you were to mix 1 T of chopped fresh rosemary or 2 T thyme into the batter, you won't be unhappy.

Habanero Smoker

Though we didn't make Old's recipe, looking at she figured that the texture of the batter would be to difficult to split evenly between two pans. Both her and her mother bake a lot, and from what they tell me, it is not always the case that you can just double ingredients. What ever the reason, things worked in may favor, and I now have another great recipe.

No Maple trees were harmed during the making of this recipe :). In other words, we did not use maple syrup or granules. I can say that the apples were peeled and I used Fuji apples.

I
         don't
                   inhale.