• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Problem with Smoker

Started by Smokey da Bear, December 18, 2006, 09:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey da Bear

I have a problem with my smoker and would like some input.  I have been a member of the forum for about a year but have never posted.  I have, however read what you "regulars" have posted and I have laughed at the humor and cried (out of joy) at how incredible the smoked meats taste if I follow your advise  :). 

So here is my problem, I am smoking the good old favs, brisket and pulled pork for both my family's christmas party and my wife's family party (I'll be under the microscope for sure).  BUT my smoker with inadvertantly shut of and has done the last 3 times of use.  The light by the temperature control with shut of and the heating element.  It seems to start again after some time.  I am not sure how long though.  My fear is that during this weekend of parties it will shut of and not return.  Any thoughts????

West Coast Kansan

SdB, Thanks for starting to post. Sounds like a OBS, so not sure from your post how to help ... my experience is DBS.

1) Call Bradley
2) What else is happening is it at the same temp that it shuts off?
3) Does it run for a good while before you notice it happening?

??? High temp cut off???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Smokey da Bear

It doesn't shut off at a certain temp.  I'll be cruisin' along at 205 deg for 3 or 4 hours and then.....Nothing.  My smoker is a SS and about a year old.

Oldman

This sounds like a bad high limit switch. It is located in the center of the back of the unit.

It is under the metal cover in the back of the unit.  When you take off the back DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS FOR THE POWER PLUG UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Smokey da Bear

Can I or Should I just bypass this sensor?

West Coast Kansan

Nope, you dont want to do that.  Call Bradley, they have a lot of them.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Chez Bubba

I agree with all above. To my understanding, that is a bi-metal, one-time only fuse that once tripped, will never work properly again.

IMO, either your smoker got above 300-315F at some point, or you just got a bum sensor.

And, to repeat, do not attempt to bypass it. Doing so could result in at best a ruined meal and a melted-down-to-a-pile-of-goo smoker, or worse could be the cause of your house fire.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

I had this problem once and it was the control board behind the slider switch. Apparently moisture got to it and shorted it out.
Jack

Chez Bubba

Quote from: Bassman on December 19, 2006, 01:48:12 PM
I had this problem once and it was the control board behind the slider switch. Apparently moisture got to it and shorted it out.
Jack,

Did your smoker work intermittently or not at all? My previous knowledge of the topic says if you short out the board, it's toast & won't do a thing.

Just curious,

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Smokey da Bear

I wondered about that.  The plastic pcs that holds the light and temp slide was cracked when I bought it.  I thought it might be getting moisture in it.

Bassman

Kirk,
Yes, my smoker worked intermittenly. It would work for awhile then shut off, a little while later it came back on. In my mind (which is very limited) when a circut board doesn't work it's shorted out. This might not be accurate terminology, I guess i should have said it was broke ;D. Anyway the problem was that little control board behind the slider switch. Cheers!
Jack

West Coast Kansan

I am guessing this was a 'smoking with the vent too closed" type of issue?

Smokey da Bear

West Coast,

Now that you say that I beleive that could be it.  I do smoke with the vent shut completely.  I want more smoke to stay in. 
Is that a bad move?

I did call Bradley and they are sending me the plastic pcs that houses the temp control and the light, and a new high temp shut off.

Their customer service was actually incredible.

Rob

West Coast Kansan

Several threads here about venting.  Needs to be open to allow air flow and moisture to escape from the unit. Condensation is not good for any part of the process, especially the equipment.  You will want to adjust your vent open enough (at a minimum) to prevent smoke from escaping at the crack between the Smoke Generator and the Tower.

It seems logical in my mind also that a closed vent creates a supercharged smoke enviornment. BUT it really doesnt work to an advantage that way.

I usually just adjust mine to keep the smoke from backing out.

Habanero Smoker

You can also ruin your generator. The smoke and moisture backing out of the generator can gum up the mechanical mechanism, and it may also cause an electrical short.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)