Allium Sepa & Solanum Melongena, Meet Bradley Smoker...

Started by ceeuawlsune, December 20, 2006, 07:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceeuawlsune

Today I'm going to do something I've never done before: turn on the BS with no intention of putting meat into it! 

I'm planning on doing some Vidalia onions, some red onions, some leeks (white parts only) & some eggplant.  I'm going to make a smoked red onion marmalade with the reds.  I'm aiming at making a nice smoked onion soup for Christmas dinner, as a surprise for my parents.  I'm going to follow that recipe in an older post (I think around Jan '05) about Smoked Onion Soup.  I might tweak it a LITTLE (w/ fresh herbs or something).

I also happened to get my father a 4-rack digital BS for Christmas...

The eggplant is just for experimentation purposes...smoked eggplant parm, perhaps?  With smoked tomato sauce (using some smoked onions in it)?  And smoked mozzarella?  Damn, I'm hungry.

I'm going to cut the onions in half (at least), cut the leeks in half, and cut the eggplant into 1/2"-thick rounds.  I'm going to salt & press the eggplant for about 30 minutes (while I set up the BS and prep the onions, etc.).  I'm thinking about also scattering some fresh herbs (thyme & rosemary) around on the racks for flavor?  I'm not sure it's hot enough to do much, though?

manxman

QuoteI also happened to get my father a 4-rack digital BS for Christmas...

Lucky dad!!  ;)

Post the smoked onion soup recipe if it works out could you please? I did the previous one which was nice, fancy another go sometime. Thanks.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I didn't see this when it was first posted. I made lasagna using smoked eggplant. If you smoke the eggplant make sure you peel the eggplant either before or after smoking them. I found that the skin gets real tough after being smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ceeuawlsune

Thanks for the tip, Habs.  Besides the tough skin, did you like the lasagna?

Manx, I'll be sure to post that Smoked Onion Soup recipe - be on the lookout for it in this sub-category, or perhaps the "recipes in development" section.

Off to work for now, then tomorrow night after work I'll whip up the soup.

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! It came out real good. I sliced the eggplant into 1/4" thick lengths (because it was less pieces to handle during smoking). Prepared the eggplant as I would if making any lasagna dish; salting to draw out the liquid then pat dry with paper towels, smoke for about 40 minutes to 1 hour at 200°F-220°F. I applied 40 minutes of maple. After baking in the lasagna dish, there was a good smoke flavor throughout the dish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sgaberdeen

Try pureeing the eggplant after smoking and adding a splash of lemon juice to it. Makes a hell of good bread dip.