pre heating & temperature limit

Started by GABJR, December 26, 2006, 03:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GABJR

I have just used my smoker for the first time. I have seen some post about pre heating but saw nothing in the book about this. Should you always pre heat ? Also the turkey I smoked said use a cooking temp of 375 for 4 hours & a 175 internal @ thickest part. The max I was able to set was 320 . I used my digital remote thermometer
to keep a check on the internal. Also how is the best way to use the thermometer with the smoker ? hrough the door seal or through the vent.

Habanero Smoker

The BS will only obtain maximum cabinet temperature of about 320°F, that is generally only obtained when it is empty. I smoke my poultry at the highest temperature I can obtain, and that is generally 225° - 240°F. A 175°F internal temperature is alright, but I only smoke/roast whole turkeys to 165°F. I put my probe through the vent because it is more convenient for me, others put theirs through the door seal. As a general rule, I always preheat. It allows for the cabinet temperature to get up to your set temperature much faster.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

H.S. is right ... the temperatures used in a lot of off the shelf instructions will be odd when compared to smoking time and temperature. You will see a much more low (temp) and slow (time) with smokers, especially electric smokers.  The smoker approach is actually much better, use care when handling / preparing foods used with the smoker because of the lower temps.  The Internal Temps will be very important with regard to killing bugs.  No panic just care. 

Prewarming is good as a general rule. Helps the tower temperature to rebound quicker when you place the food to be smoked. I would recommend always starting out with prewarming and then with experience decide when it is not necessary.  I will become obvious.

Take Care, welcome and share your experiences.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

iceman

Welcome GABJR;
Hab and WCK pretty much said it all. Hope all turns out. Don't over cook the bird and you might want to give brining a thought. It helps with the moisture retention and flavor quite a bit. :)