• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoke vs cooking time

Started by primus, December 29, 2006, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primus

I've looked at several recipes. They all give 4 to 8 hours in the smoker. Is there any guide to length of time that the smoke generator actually produces smoke in the overall smoking process? For example I am told jerky takes 6 to 8 hours but only gets smoked for 2 or 3 hours and the rest of the time is drying time.

manxman

It is rare that the smoking process itself goes beyond 4 hours but it depends very much on what you are smoking, how you are smoking (cold v hot smoking) and personnal taste.

For example many people cold smoke their cheese for a couple of hours, I like mine cold smoked for 5 hours.

Perhaps the best thing is to come up with specific food you want to smoke (know you have mentioned jerk in another post, I have no experience of that) and then people can chip in with their personal preferences.  :)
Manxman

owrstrich

primus... i have the non digi bs... i can only comment on that on... i have no idea how the digi bs works...

other than prime ribbs and chicken rolls and stuff like that... almost all of my smokes are low and slow with a fully loaded box...

i will go either 4 or 5 hours of smoke in the begining... 4 hours of smoke on 24lbs of beast or less... 5 hours of smoke on 24lbs of beast ot more...

the beast can only absorb so musch smoke... after 4 or 5 hours if can mess up the taste in my opinion... others have scientific explinations... my explination is it can mess up the taste...

so when the last puck is wasted it is a good idea to empty the water bowl of the spent pucks and goo and fill it with fresh water... the water bowl will continue to collect goo but all pucks are spent so no ashtray taste...

some folks unplug the puck burner electric cord when the smoke is done in attempt the save wear on their puck advance motor... this means they are using the heat element for 100% of heat...

those who keep their puck burner cord plugged in are assisting the heat element with the puck burner plate... either way is ok... it just depents on the conditions... if its cold and windy the puck burner plate maybe necessary to maintain box temp...

so now the pucks are spent and your bs is now a low and slow oven with some special features... 1 the vent will allow you to control how much moisture is in the box... 2 the drip pan will collect beast goo and as it atomizes it adds flovour to the beast...

so the bs is really an oven with a smoke application attachment...  start off with heat and smoke... continue with heat only after smoke ends... the entire cook takes a lot longer than one would think because its low and slow... and ftc is a time buffer so as you are not rushed...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Arcs_n_Sparks

O:

I applaud your cogent posts to all the newcomers here. Obviously, a number of BSes were delivered by Santa.....

Sparkler

owrstrich

i wont be around for a week so im just doing my paying ahead... its all about karma...

i am just trying to help while the rest of you folks are playing with your new battery chargers and foot operated pumps between coc ktails...

hopefuly im not posting disinformation...

there have been quite a few others helping out the santas favorites here too...

when all forum posters are sucessful with the beast ... i am successful...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

primus

Thanks for the great replys! Happy New Year to all!