• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The OBS Goes Mobile!

Started by BurntFork Ken, January 02, 2007, 04:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurntFork Ken

Here's a pic of a cart I built for my new OBS.  It's since received a coat of bright red paint and will be fitted with a lower shelf.  By the way, does the smoke unit or tower radiate enough heat to the bottom to have the treat the surface of the cart accordingly?

Yours in smoke,
Ken

iceman

Welcome BurntFork;
Nice looking cart! IMHO I would put something on the cart top that was sort of heat proof just in case. Not that the unit will get that hot normaly but things can happen and if a grease fire ever came about you would be a little safer if it should ever drip onto the cart top. I'm not saying it would ever happen to the smoker but.......
Just a thought.
Over the years I've seen some strange things happen to various smokers and grills so I tend to play the safe side of things.
Anyhow enjoy the smoker and above all have fun. :)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Agree with Iceman; never know what can happen. With a thin sheet of metal, it can double as a welding table.  8)

Last week, 15 minutes into a prime rib roast on the Weber, it caught fire (due to too many previous BBQs with accumulated crud on the bottom). Torched the temp probe on the ET-73, but otherwise it come out okay. An additional drink, and I was fine too.  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo

I think a little Tim Allen would go nicely, GO Diamond Plate> arrhhh arrrhhh arrrhhh The contrast of the wood on bottom and black OBS on top put the luster of the diamond plate right in line.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Lefty_Smoker

I picked up a pretty nice cart from Lowes the other day.  Its a 3 tier utility cart.  Works perfect for a stand for a BS.  The only problem I had was that the BS's feet would fall through the holes in metal grid top to the cart.  I happened to have an old peice of plywood that fit perfectly betwoon the posts so I used it to give the Bradley a nice level solid surface.  I'll cut something more permanent later.

It has three adjustable shelves, the middle of which is a deeper bin.  It also has a pull handle and a small wire bin that hangs on the side along with a bunch of hooks to hang BBQ tools.  You can put the small bin and hooks anywhere you want which is very handy.  Lockable caster wheels to boot. 

Arcs_n_Sparks

Where is the mini-fridge or adult beverage cooler??????? 

Otherwise, a fine setup.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Greetings and welcome lefty.  What is that monitor stuck to the smoker door?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

B. F. K. Looks good! piece of sheet metal would also be easy to clean allowing for an area to set your beast / set racks when rotating etc. One thing I miss is a readily availabe place to set a rack down. Looks like you have room to put one down and expect it to stay.  Only other thought is adding a cooly.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on January 02, 2007, 07:57:42 PM
Greetings and welcome lefty.  What is that monitor stuck to the smoker door?

Just a small digital timer, with magnets on the back.  Handy to time overall smoke times and what not.

iceman

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on January 02, 2007, 06:51:51 PM
Where is the mini-fridge or adult beverage cooler??????? 

Otherwise, a fine setup.

Arcs_n_Sparks
Good catch Arcs!!! :D ;D ;)

Kummok

Nice cart BFK! Is that a Jack Terry print behind the Bradley??? Kinda looks similar to our 'Morning on the Merced'

BTW.....Lefty Smoker, don't pay any attention to all this fire safety stuff....jes keep on smoking next to a lawnmower fulla gas and a propane tank! :o ;) ;D ;D  Just kidding, of course....I see the wheels on the cart and KNOW that you move it to a safe location.... ;)   I bought one of the same carts to use for my smoking classes and thank goodness it came with a plastic insert "shelf" to keep the smoker feet from going through the grid! Works great!

BurntFork Ken

Thanks for the kudos guys, and yes Kummok, that is indeed a Terry - When Denver Rode the Rails - it's getting a new frame currently.

BTW - Did the first smoke last night, a couple of good sized salmon fillets.  I mixed maple and alder and used the maple brine I pulled off the Bradley recipe page.  My girlfreind said it took her back to Alaska when she was a kid, so apparently it came out OK.   :D I like the way this baby puts smoke taste into the food, but doesn't saturate it beyond being tasty.

Today we're doing baby backs with hickory smoke and a little Kansas City style rub. 

I'm thinking the cart is going to need a bottle opener screwed to the frame  ;).

Yours in smoke,
Ken

West Coast Kansan

Good job with the gfriend, and idea with bottle opener.  Your on a roll!