• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another newbie question?

Started by cciowa, January 05, 2007, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cciowa

I just recieved the original bradley smoker. I have been doing some reading and I'm just going to try a simple 2 whole chickens. I have the bradley warming up now. I know it will be late before they are done. I have put a rub on them and have them getting close to room temp. my question is should I place them both on same rack in lower part of smoker or different racks? also I believe I should place them breast down too? sorry for all the questions but I'm real anxious to give the smoker a try I'm planning on smoking the chickens with smoke for 3 hrs with maple bricks I have purchased bubba pucks I think they are called and I believe I have everything set thanks for your help Bret

p.s. I'm already working on the pork butt for tomorrow I'm puting the recipe for that together as soon as the chicken gets going I bought a 8lb pork butt cant wait to give it a shot too

icerat4

Welcome here cciowa.Same rack or not its not going to matter much.If there on the lower rack they will cook just  a bit faster.So no biggie and the racks.And the breast  down is ok too.Your on the right track.Good luck and enjoy your new toy  ;D.   Also check your messages you got mail for your pork deal. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

MRH

I did 3  chickens a while back and did the beer can stuck in their rear, so they were facing up.  I had to tie them together to keep them standing.  I had all of them on the same rack one towards the bottom so there would be room to stand.  They came out real good, very moist.  I see you are from Kalona Ia, I am about 3 miles west of you, and fairly new with this Bradley smoking too.  Had it around a year now.

Mark

cciowa

Thanks for the reply its a cooking now I'm already hungry hope it turns out good!! I really need to get a maverick though I think it would help with too

cciowa

Small world Mark we'll have to get together here sometime and trade some cooked meat!! once I get it figured out!

icerat4

Mavrick is good for bigger meals.For chicken and smaller stuff check into a thermalpen.Its what the pros use .Very accurate and very very fast readings.Do a google on that product you wont be dissappointed.Just stick the pen in and 1 second later u have internal temps. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Habanero Smoker

CC;

Welcome to the forum.

I always do whole poultry breast up in the smoker. Placing the chickens on the same shelf will help the chickens cook more evenly. Placing the probe in the thickest part of the thigh is the best way to monitor the internal temperature, and I usually take the chickens out when they reach 160°F-165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome aboard.  These guys have said it all except perhaps that alcohol helps the time pass. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

cciowa

I'm holding back the temptation of opening door for a peak at how they are doing  :o I'm ready to eat I guess a beer or two will have to do for now! I have the pork butt in rub for tomorrow morning now I'll get up early and start that up too should be real good too. Thanks for the support and I hope in time I can add to this board have a good day.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: cciowa on January 05, 2007, 02:55:04 PM
:o I'm ready to eat I guess a beer or two will have to do for now!

Exactly right. A side benefit of smoking is employing adult beverages to offset to urge to peek into the smoker....   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Greetings and welcome aboard the forum.  Another add is watch your vent, keeping it open especially in the initial phase when the chicken is releasing lots of moisture. Habanero Smoker has posted frequently on moisture in chicken to learn more about that....  When you feel it is well into the cooking process you can close it down a bit but not so much you see any smoke leaving the opening at the connection between the generator and tower.  Much fun ahead!

Check out Icerats postings on pork butt in the bradley for tomorrows fun.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

cciowa

Chicken turned out pretty good for the first time I guess the skin was like rubber we removed that and was real good after the skin. I started my pork butt this morning around 3:45 so going pretty good here I let you know how the pork butt turned out too thanks for your suggestions

Wildcat

Sounds like you are off to a good start.  Can't do much about chicken skin.  My dog loves it, so whenever I am smoking, she pulls gaurd duty at the smoker. :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

cciowa

The smoked butt turned out great it was a big hit at our house the meat was falling off the bone. Heres a pic for ya 

West Coast Kansan

Very nice indeed, looks like a good bark as well. Time for Dinner!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)