• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thermometer questions?

Started by cciowa, January 07, 2007, 03:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cciowa

Can someone tell me the pros and cons on these thermometers?
   I have now a Polder thermometer which worked nicely this weekend but was curious about if anyone has tried a Infrared thermometer for quick reads or if the best to go with is the thermopen? for when I cook meats the probe wont go into like ribs or just want a instant read thermometer?
  I have also been considering the Maverick ET-73 Redi-Chek Remote Smoker Thermometer for when I smoke more than one item thanks for any help

LilSmoker

The thermapen are very good, not cheap but many pros use them, however i like the Maverick ET-73, i think it makes cooking with the BS very easy as it's a remote device, you don't have to frequently open the door to test temps.
I really am pleased with my Maverick, so far it's been very accurate, and for the price i think it's a must have ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Smudge

So many of my smoking projects require that the door stay shut unless absolutely necessary. The ET 73 is indispensable in these situations, so I'm only reaffirming what LilSmoker has posited.

I've not always had good luck with the receiver working properly. It claims to be accurate within 100 feet I believe, operating in a line of sight. My experience has been to keep it much closer. Not a biggie, it is merely an inconvenience. The ET-73's accuracy is most important to me.

So put me down for the Maverick. Stick thermometers would be anathema for my projects.   

Wildcat

I tend to agree with Smudge and Lil Smoker.  I think the most important is to accurately monitor the box and internal temps.  If you are looking for perfection for the internal temp at the end, then Thermapen would be a nice gadget to have for double checking when the Maverick says it is ready IMO.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Infrared would only give you surface temps if i understand the device you are referencing. There was a post sometime ago that talked about surface temp relationship on thin cuts like ribs to 'done' .  I dont remember reading any conclusions. 

I like the Mavericks, been pretty reliable in my experience. ET73 gives you tower plus IT and the ET72 is a nice addition for a second piece of meat IT on those big loads of meat projects.  I dont do a lot of big loads anymore cause the bradley is too quick and easy to use.

My son uses a thermopin and likes it but he smokes with wood and has an infinite supply of smoke and heat. He likes it cuz he has a tall tower with an offset box and is constantly rotating and reloading racks with different meat over the day or two he is chained to his smoker.

It seems to me a thermopin could be used fine once you learn when you are near the end of the cook period and would not want to be checking very often until you are close anyway.   

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

The three temperature measuring devices you have mentioned have different uses, and benefits. The infrared measures surface temperatures, which is good for measuring cooking surfaces (especially a grill) or liquids.

The thermopen is an instant read, and is useful when you need to take a quick temperature, but you need to open the door to do so. Unless you need to measure the temperature of more then a couple of pieces at one setting, any instant read thermometer will do. I have had a Themopen for 1.5 - 2 years now, and the reason I bought it was that I needed to check several pieces of salmon, chicken parts etc. to ensure that all piece on the tray were done. With a regular instant read it would take 10 - 20 seconds to get the temperature of each piece, if you are checking 4 or 5 pieces that adds up to a lot of time you are keeping the door open. If you are only checking one piece, the 10 - 20 seconds is not all the long.

The Maverick ET-7, ET-72, and ET-73 are remote probes. Probes are made so that you can insert them into the meat and they remain their through out the cooking time. It a nice way to monitor the internal meat without opening the door. The ET-7 monitors two internal meat temperatures, but you can use one of the probes to monitor the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PetersCreek

Regarding the ET-73 and it's maximum range.  I've got the ET-73...and the ET-74 wireless turkey fryer thermometer...and I'm satisfied with both.  They work like a champ.

But when you're talkin' wireless anything...thermometers, phones, bluetooth, whatever...the manafacturer's stated maximum range will always be based the most favorable, best case: clear line-of-sight from receiver to transmitter, without interference, on a sunny Tuesday in June, at 9:42 AM.  Walls, metal structures, other obstructions or attenuators, and local RF interference will most likely limit your range.

In my case, when I'm smokin' out on the deck, I have no trouble getting a good link from the office, living room, kitchen, etc.  The signal comes through a couple of walls, no problem.  But when I'm smokin' under the canopy off the end of the garage, I can't go any farther than the kitchen before losing the signal.  The extra walls of the living room and office make 'em off limits for the remote.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com