• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Under the Turkey Skin?

Started by Chip, January 09, 2007, 11:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Hey I recognize that brand of bird
It's called "Tasty Bird"  ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

winemakers

thats tailgating at a whole new level........

;D

West Coast Kansan

Welcome Chip, thanks for sharing. looks to be a real success.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

jenbayjazz

Quote from: Chip on January 09, 2007, 11:29:26 AM
Hi Folks,

Sorry to sound like a newbie...

I have a 12lb turkey in the brine right now and will be smoking it tomorrow!  I found a wealth of information, in this forum, on how to proficiently gobble a gobbler - thanks!

The one thing that baffles me a little bit is when folks say to rub the rub under the skin.  No problem, but...  How do you get the skin off without ripping it to shreds?

I realize that I *may* be looking at this a little too simplisticly...  I have a vision of the bird with a removable skin...  Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and for not laughing (not too much, anyway...)

Cheers!

Chip

Hello: I am dry curing 6 turkey legs. I pulled back the skin to get the cure under the skin and also put some on the skin. I used Tender Quick 1/2 oz to the pound as the package recommends and I'm figuring about 7 to 10 days on the  cure time. Anyone here tried to dry cure turkey legs and know about the dry cure time for them?. I also added brown sugar after I got the cure on and they've been in the fridge for 4 days now. Today i added 1/4 teaspoon of maple extract. I did a bacon with tender quick, brown sugar and maple extract and it tasted unreal. I  add the maple extract 1/2 way thru the cure time.

Mark aka jenbayjazz