• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Under the Turkey Skin?

Started by Chip, January 09, 2007, 11:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip

Hi Folks,

Sorry to sound like a newbie...

I have a 12lb turkey in the brine right now and will be smoking it tomorrow!  I found a wealth of information, in this forum, on how to proficiently gobble a gobbler - thanks!

The one thing that baffles me a little bit is when folks say to rub the rub under the skin.  No problem, but...  How do you get the skin off without ripping it to shreds?

I realize that I *may* be looking at this a little too simplisticly...  I have a vision of the bird with a removable skin...  Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and for not laughing (not too much, anyway...)

Cheers!

Chip

"You see those battleships sitting there, and you think that they float
on the water, don't you?  You are wrong, they are carried to sea on the
backs of those Chief Petty Officers! "

Admiral Halsey

Smudge

Start at the small end, breast side up. Gently work a finger under the skin. You'll feel as you wiggle your finger that the skin is separating from the breast meat, like it's being ever so gently being lifted off. Time for two fingers now, always increasing the size of the pocket. In no time you'll have enough room to insert your whole hand, palm side down, fingers extended straight out. Work your way all the way up the meaty part of the breast until the entire topside has been lifted away.

The key is to do it slowly, taking care to not rip the skin.

What are you going to baste it with?   

Chip

Thanks Smudge, I appreciate it.  I figure that it will be easier after the brining is complete, so I'll do it then.

I was gonna put a drip pan underneath the bird and baste it with the drippings only.  There is already a bunch of flavor going in the mix, so I really don't want to add more.

The brine that I am using is the Maple Flavord Turkey Brine by PAsmoker.  It actually tasted pretty good!  I am going to use the Basic Poultry Rub by Habanero Smoker.  I am thinking about adding some brown sugar to the mix to make it a little sweeter.  I'll try mixing a real small batch to guage the taste first.

Oh yeah...  Has anyone ever tried to smoke the giblets?  I am brining them too.  I may make a gravy with them or just eat them plain.

Cheers!

Chip

Admiral Halsey

iceman

Careful marshawk after the brining. The skin tears a lot easier after brining for some reason. Just my 2.3 cents from messing a few turkeys up. ;) :D
Don't baste until after the bird starts to dry out and take on color. :) Otherwise you don't get that nice golden brown look.

Habanero Smoker

Marshawk;
Welcome to the forum.

Look like you have a good plan. Just follow the advise given by Iceman and Smudge. I've never attempted smoking giblets, let us know how that turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chip

Thanks guys, I will be careful.

Please call me Chip.  I'll try to change my handle in the profile section.

I'll keep you posted on the bird as it is going through the process.

I think that the giblets will take less time than the bird so I will probably put them in when I start basting.

Should be interesting...  I can't wait!!  Is tomorrow here yet?

Cheers!

Chip

Admiral Halsey

Chip

There...that's better!

Cheers!

Chip

Admiral Halsey

iceman

Forgot to mention not to leave the giblets in the smoker to long. They take on the smoke very fast and can turn into a sort of Taso real fast. And what ever you do DO NOT smoke the livers. That's a whole other story that folks here can tell you about. Have a good time Chip :)

Chip

Rats!

The liver was what I was looking forward to.

Thanks!

Chip

Admiral Halsey

headgames

Quote from: Smudge on January 09, 2007, 12:52:00 PM
Start at the small end, breast side up. Gently work a finger under the skin. You'll feel as you wiggle your finger that the skin is separating  like it's being ever so gently being lifted. Time for two fingers now, always increasing the size of the pocket. In no time you'll have enough room to insert  

DARN..... looks like a few words in the quote got deleted ..........but it sounds like a first date ( BLUSHING) . ROTFLMAO
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Wildcat

Nice pick-up!  Pardon the pun.  It is amazing how smoking preparation can sound almost sexy at times.  It is definetly a love affair.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

This forum changed the word I typed to Oy.  Perhaps x rated will work.

Chip

The turkey was a success!!!

The meat has a lightly smoked flavor and virtually fell off the bone.  The took a chance and ran it at a little higher temperature because I was running late with it.  The only thing that seemed to happen, besides getting cooked faster, was that the skin was nice and crisp when it came out of the smoker.  The bird was perfect.

Thanks to all who helped me with this project!

Here are some pictures:

The bird before it went into the smoker:

The uncooked bird:

The turkey fresh from the smoker:

I know, I know...which one's the turkey?

Cheers!

Chip

Admiral Halsey

Wildcat

iceman

I can only say "Well done Chip" :P ;D You done good!!! ;)