Homebrewers

Started by Malc, January 12, 2007, 06:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

A couple of friends and I are getting back into homebrewing after a long break(too long).  Anybody have a recipe they particularly like?  I know about the smoked porter that mws posted.  Sounds good, but I am the only one of my group that really sounded interested in it.  Looks like a solo project there.  I should also mention that at this point we are only set up for partial mash/grain brewing. 

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

winemakers

Charlie Papazian has been the guru for my homebrewing.  His books are a fun read as well as recipies that are easy to follow from all extract to full mash.

And Malc, if you are ever up near Macedonia (north of Akron), Leeners brew works is a great store (www.leeners.com, I 271 and Route 8).

mld

MWS

http://www.brew-monkey.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Hi Malc,

These two sites are a gold mine of information, recipes, equipment and supplies. Both have forums with knowledgable members that can answer any questions.

Quote from: Malc on January 12, 2007, 06:23:25 AM
I should also mention that at this point we are only set up for partial mash/grain brewing. 

It doesnt take much more to have an all grain system.  Just a couple of food grade 5 gallon buckets for your mash/lauter-tun and your in business. You can simply drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of one bucket and place that in a bucket with a spigot or hose coming out. Instant lauter-tun.  I can mash and sparge up to 15 pounds of grain.

Here's an example of one system you can buy for $50. You can make your own for 1/4 of that.

I'm brewing a double IPA Saturday. I'll finish with three gallons of sweet wort which will soon become a full bodied high alcohol hoppy monster ale.  :P ;D

Quote from: Malc on January 12, 2007, 06:23:25 AM
I know about the smoked porter that mws posted.  Sounds good, but I am the only one of my group that really sounded interested in it. 

My smoked Porter turned out fantastic and was a big hit over Christmas. When I asked guests if they would like to try one, I would always sense hesitation, but after the first taste, they were raving about it. I also gave away a bunch of 22 oz bottles to workmates for Christmas. I think they will be expecting this every year now  ;) Only 4 - 22 oz bottles left, I will miss it when its gone. :'(

Smoked Porter sounds strange but tastes great IMHO

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Scotty-G

Quote from: mws on January 12, 2007, 12:32:46 PM
Smoked Porter sounds strange but tastes great IMHO

Hey Mike,
Smoked Porter sounds pretty good.  I've been brewing chocolate porters every now and then with some good results.
I am tempted next time to try smoked chocolate porter.  mmmmmm  The best of both worlds  ;D

tsquared

YOu boys are putting me to shame. I haven't made home brew for years. (Too many good local micro breweries here in Victoria, at least that's my excuse.)
T2

Consiglieri

I agree that Papazian recipes rock.  One of my favorites from his book is an IPA:

7 lbs light malt extract
1 lb crystal malt
1/8 lb toasted malt

Remove the grain befor the boil begins to roll.  Once boiling add 3-4 oz fuggles or Cascade hops.  When the wort is finished, add 1 oz Cascade hops for 15 minutes of steeping.

Orignal gravity:1.055-1.065.  Typically yields a full bodied ale with 5.5-6.5 percent Alkyhol

Getting thirsty over here.
Consiglieri

Consiglieri

MWS: posted before I saw yours.  Only thought to add to your plan: start the ribs 3 hours earlier and make sure you have plenty of the last brew available during Saturday's "work."

Cheers.
Consiglieri

Malc

Thanks to all.  This looks like the plan:  we are brewing two styles, an ESB, which we have tried before and an Amber Lager.  This will be the first foray into lager, so wish me luck.  I will post everything soon.

winemakers: I will have to check that place out.  I am fortunate enough to have a homebrew supply right in Struthers about ten blocks from my house, which makes it nice.

mws: Now that smoked porter is definitely on the list.

Malc

acords

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

I'm lucky enough to have this about 20 minutes away.  While I don't brew my own, they sell plenty of kegging supplies.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

MWS

Quote from: Malc on January 13, 2007, 05:36:28 AM
Malc

Malc, with my next batch of Smoked Porter, I think I'll add 4 shots of espresso. Let me know how your lagering goes.

This morning I will be curing 6 lbs of pork shoulder for cottage bacon, then spend 5-6 hours brewing my IPA. I decided not to do the Double IPA (too much time, too little ale).

The house should smell like a brewery for a couple of days  ;D

IPA Recipe

Grains
10 lb - Maris Otter Pale Malt (UK)
1 lb - Victory Malt
0.5 lb - Munich Malt
0.5 Medium Crystal Malt (65L)
0.5 Cara amber
Hops
1.5 oz Columbus (90 mins)
1 oz Cascade (60 mins)
1 oz Cascade (30 mins)
1 oz Willamette (10 min steep)
1 oz Willamette dry hop
Yeast
1056 American Ale (liquid Wyeast brand)

This should yield 5 gallons of ale with an Original Gravity of about 1.050-1.070 and an IBU between 50-70 (very hoppy)

EDIT Malc, heres a good reference for smoking your own grains and a recipe for smoked porter (Partial Mash)

http://www.byo.com/feature/597.html

Mike 

Malc

Quote from: mws on January 13, 2007, 10:09:29 AM
Quote from: Malc on January 13, 2007, 05:36:28 AM
Malc

Malc, with my next batch of Smoked Porter, I think I'll add 4 shots of espresso. Let me know how your lagering goes.

This morning I will be curing 6 lbs of pork shoulder for cottage bacon, then spend 5-6 hours brewing my IPA. I decided not to do the Double IPA (too much time, too little ale).

The house should smell like a brewery for a couple of days  ;D

IPA Recipe

Grains
10 lb - Maris Otter Pale Malt (UK)
1 lb - Victory Malt
0.5 lb - Munich Malt
0.5 Medium Crystal Malt (65L)
0.5 Cara amber
Hops
1.5 oz Columbus (90 mins)
1 oz Cascade (60 mins)
1 oz Cascade (30 mins)
1 oz Willamette (10 min steep)
1 oz Willamette dry hop
Yeast
1056 American Ale (liquid Wyeast brand)

This should yield 5 gallons of ale with an Original Gravity of about 1.050-1.070 and an IBU between 50-70 (very hoppy)

EDIT Malc, heres a good reference for smoking your own grains and a recipe for smoked porter (Partial Mash)

http://www.byo.com/feature/597.html

Thanks for the link mws.  I can't wait to try this.  Allow me to tap the knowledge of all of you one more time.  I have a couple of pounds of spent grains from the process.  My buddies and I got to talking about using them, and I said I would make some pretzels or bread or something out of them.  I found a recipe for pretzels and a couple for breads using the grain.  Anybody ever do this, or have a particular recipe they like.  Again, thanks to all.  Lots of great info, links, etc....  It is now after midnight and I just finished the brewing.  Too tired now, but full details are coming.  Goodnight, sleep tight, etc.....

Malc

MWS

I was in a brewpub awhile back that made meatballs using their spent grains. I usually compost mine and the wild birds like it.

Smoked spent grain meatballs........hmmmmmm an idea.  ;)

EDIT:

You got me thinking Malc, I found this site for cooking with spent grains.
http://www.breworganic.com/recipes/Cooking-Recipes.html
They have recipes for cookies, veggie burgers, potatoe cakes, bread and granola. I'm going to save some grains after my next brew session and try some of these. Cheers

Mike 

iceman

A bunch of local bakers are always selling spent grain bread too. Dang good stuff IMO. :P

Malc

Brew #1  Far Out ESB(from Brewmasters Bible)
Grains:-steeped at 150oF for 40mins.
8oz. Gambrinus Honey malt
4 oz. Belgian biscuit malt
4oz. Belgian aromatic malt
8 oz. Scottish 80oL crystal malt
4oz. wheat solids
4oz. flaked maize
Extract:
6lbs. light DME
Hops:
60mins-.5oz. Pride of Ringwood pellets and .5oz. Phoenix pellets
20mins.-.5oz. Kent Goldings, 1t. irish moss, and 2t. gypsum
0mins.- .5oz. Progress pellets
Wyeast 1275

Brew#2 "Famous" Amber Lager (Brewmasters Bible)
Grains:-started in cold water and removed just before boiling
.5C 20L Crystal malt
.5C 60L Crystal malt
.5C 90L Crystal malt
Extract:
3lbs. light DME
3lbs Coopers light malt syrup
Hops:
60mins-1.5oz. Kent Goldings pellets(replaced with WGV)
30mins-.5oz. Cascade hop pellets
10mins.-.5oz. Tettanger hop pellets
1/2t. Irish moss at 45mins.
Dry Lager Yeast

Malc

MWS

Have you decided what your going to do with the spent grains Malc?
Mike