• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP! Please.. rookie mistake

Started by njswampman, January 19, 2007, 05:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njswampman

:-[
So heres my problem.  I am making a 10lb batch of snack sticks 8#venison 2# pork.  Recipe calls for "a little less than half TBSP " of cure (Sodium Nitrite) .  I now realize that I added a little less than half a TSP of Cure.  They are stuffed and chilling in the fridge.  Recipie says cure for 12-24 hrs.  Can I salvage the batch by extending the cure time? or will I kill everyone who comes in contact with the finished product?  I plan on finishing to an IT of 160. 

winemakers

tough call, that cure is intended to control the buggers in the "danger zone" temperatures whilst smoking (debates rage from 90 to 140).  I would be very concerned. At 3 teasp to 1 T, you are at about a third of recommended dosage......

Worst case, you could scrap the casing, split/remove meat and remix/restuff with more cure.  Alot of work but better than driving the porcelan bus or worse.

just my two cents.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MRH

Just my opinion and I am sure somebody would know the answer for sure.  But when you cook anything you are going through the temperature zone where the nasties can thrive, but you don't use a cure. So why wouldn't it be ok to smoke, especially if you are going to a internal temp of 160?  Wouldn't that take care of anything that would be bad by hitting that high of a  temp? Maybe you just have to cook it faster instead of doing a slow low temp smoke since it is light on cure. Also I would think with it being refrigerated etc. (proper meat care) wouold help.  Makes me wonder on this too.  I am sure somebody that really knows for sure will chime in.

Mark

winemakers

My concern with snack sticks (aka 'smokies' in the cleveland area) is that cooking temperatures are rarely above 160 degrees.  That would have the meat slowly progressing thru that there danger zone.  Temps above that render the fat in those slender little buggers, resulting in a dry leathery inedible dog food. 

safety first..........

acords

Quote from: winemakers on January 19, 2007, 10:25:58 AM
My concern with snack sticks (aka 'smokies' in the cleveland area) is that cooking temperatures are rarely above 160 degrees.  That would have the meat slowly progressing thru that there danger zone.  Temps above that render the fat in those slender little buggers, resulting in a dry leathery inedible dog food. 

safety first..........

What winemakers said.  I make alot of snack sticks, and usually take them to 155.  I start at 110 and step up 10 degrees at a time.  Split the casings and restuff after adding more cure.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

iceman

I do a lot of cured sausages and meats and rarely get them to what is a safe temp for uncured meats. If you bring the sticks up to that temp you loose the fat and basically ruin the texture of the product. You need to get the right amount of cure in the meat to get the proper breakdown going. Unfortunatly it means stripping the casing and re mixing with the proper cure. These guys are on spot about getting more nitrite in the sausage sticks. :) ;)

MRH

Looks like I should have just kept quiet and waited ???  Just being too simple minded I guess.  Like I said before the experts will be here to give advice sooner or later.  Still learning here too ;D

Mark

njswampman

All, thanks for the responses.  Not what I wanted to here, but what I expected.  They have been split, re mixed, and re-stuffed.  will be smoked tomorrow.  Thanks again.