• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Buying in the UK.... direct from the US!?

Started by manxman, January 30, 2007, 07:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

I came across this topic on another forum, I am not a member of this or any other forum but have bought things off them a few times.

Ignore the first post, it is the second and subsequent few that are of interest explaining that if you buy a 240V BS direct from Bradley in the US and pay in US $$'s (or presumably from Canada and pay in Canadian $$'s?) it will cost about half the price!

The person concerned also seemed to manage to get it shipped for nothing as part of a normal Bradley consignment to the UK plus got jerky racks etc included.

I also saw a recent ebay post quoting shipment from the US to the UK for 240V models as around £80, still worthwhile given that savings of £200+ may be made by buying direct.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=2404&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The poster of this thread gives scant details and I am not recommending this but just suggesting it as something to explore further for anyone so inclined, the £ v $ exchange rate at the moment could make it very worthwhile.

If anyone has any experience of this then perhaps they could post their experiences here, for example warranty may be an issue but I bought off a dealer who imported himself direct from Canada and Grakka honoured the warranty.

Again, I don't want to do Grakka down, they are excellent to deal with but if there are £££'s to be saved it is worth thinking about, and anyone buying one this way would still be buying pucks locally.

Mmmm ..... now theres another point, perhaps a few "Brits" here on the forum could get together and import some pucks in bulk!?
Manxman

LilSmoker

Hi Manx, yeah i've also bought stuff from them, curing salt etc, and sometimes browse the forum over there, but i haven't for a while, and so didn't see that thread. Well it really makes you wonder doesn't it, i mean just how much we do get ripped off over here, we all know we're getting absolutely taken to the cleaners with prices, but by how much?. Last time i was in the states i was buying stuff for a quarter of what it costs here >:(

Anyway thanks for the heads up Manx, and i agree about the pucks, if there were enough interest i would certainly be up for that.

Thanks..........LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

Pucks cost £36 ($71) per 120 in the UK plus packing and postage. (Devon Angling)

Pucks cost £23 ($45) per 120 in the US plus package and postage. (Chez Bubba)

I wonder what volume of pucks would make it worthwhile to ship in from accross the pond, also wonder what the shelf life is if kept unopened in a dry cool place?

Some points to ponder maybe?  ;)

Manxman

LilSmoker

QuoteI wonder what volume of pucks would make it worthwhile to ship in from accross the pond, also wonder what the shelf life is if kept unopened in a dry cool place?

Hi Manx, well i guess 1000 minimum?, i would think stored in the right conditions they should last at least a year?, the wood itself shouldn't be a problem, it's just whatever the secret binder they use would last for?.

I usually buy 120 pucks minimum, to save a little, although i bought 3 different flavoured 48 packs just before xmas at £20 a pack :o so i would prefer to buy bulk anyway, and i do get through quite a lot of pucks i've noticed ;D

Anyway mate, if ever a deal comes up, count me in  ;)

manxman

Certainly something to consider for the future if there were a few of us to club together. ;)

I bought pucks from one supplier that were very "crumbly", I assumed that was old stock but there does not seem to be any date of manufacturer or expiry date printed on the packs. As you say that may well be  the binder failing with age?
Manxman

iceman

I working on shipping costs with the International post office at the Anchorage Airport right now. I'll let you guys know what I come up with. I was trying to find out how to get some packages over to Manx without taking a second out on the home mortgage. :D ;)

LilSmoker

manxman

Manxman

manxman

Another option for anyone interested on this side of the pond, a dealer in Canada who appears willing to ship to the UK. good savings to be made on BS's and accessories but no indication of shipping costs given which may negate any savings made on purchase price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bradley-Digital-Meat-Smoker-Grill-4-Racks-NEW_W0QQitemZ330081975695QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10035QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Pucks at £8 compared to £15 per 48 in the UK.

Just a thought (not a recommendation!) for anyone interested.
Manxman

LilSmoker

You know looking at those prices makes me want to  :'( :'( :'(

Dalby Spook

I think you should also consider customs & excise duty on this, guys. It's somewhat a mystery what  what they pick out of non EU goods. I think they are on the lookout for really high value stuff, golf clubs, quailty electric guitars etc. from the
States and similar electrical stuff from Hong Kong. The vast majority of stuff goes through no probs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that anything under 500 quid or so they will let go through. Personally I would give it a go.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

Yeah Dalby good point about the customs etc, in the past i've had stuff sent from the states, and the sender has been kind enough to mark the package "gift" or "toys" and i didn't get hammered with customs.

As you say Dalby, definately worth looking into  ;)

manxman

QuoteI think you should also consider customs & excise duty on this

That is a good point DS, I seem to remember the last time I was in the US about 3 - 4 years ago the limit was about £140 for bringing items back into the UK but I have also got a feeling it was raised quite recently.

Presumably it is the same for getting items shipped in?

Worth checking out though.  :)

Manxman

Dalby Spook

I have a mole in customs who, although would,nt say officially, hinted that 500 quid was around the limit provided you did'nt do it every week, sort of thing. IMO they wo'nt get upset over a few cases of wood chippings once in a while.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien