New Book/Spices

Started by Bassman, August 26, 2004, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Well new to me anyway,
I was browsing the local Barnes & Noble book store when I came across Paul Kirks "Championship Barbecue". What a wonderful book,He gives alot of info & recipes. I was especially intrested in how to properly mix spices and make rubs. I have my first brisket in the smoker right now and used one of his rubs. So far the best rub I ever used.
 After reading about spices I updated my spice supply,Some of mine we bought when we got married (27 years ago)they are now in the toilet. I think someone here (mallardwhacker or whitetail) suggested Spice Barn.They have really good prices & service, and you can buy in bulk. Not to mention things like worcestershire powder & horseradish powder.I am one happy camper![:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

Bass,

You are right about THE SPICE BARN, seem to have good service and their shipping is very reasonable.  It seems they have everything.   When you recieve there stuff, it looks like they package from bulk and have their own label on it.  WANRNING: The dehydrated jalepeno is hot, and I mean hot and comes in the form of a ground dust and is packaged in a shaker.  If you decide to shake it out the bottle, use a mask.  Sneezing jalepeno dust is a really funky experience.  Bass, I would like to hear more...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smokin Joe

Good job throwing out all that old stuff...spices degrade relatively quickly, somewhere around 6 months for most is a lifetime.

If you are interested, we offer some recommendations for using and storing spice rubs and blends on our site at http://www.carolinesrub.com/howtouse.asp...

It is amazing what you can do when you have the right spices.  A world of difference in flavors comes out when you choose the best available.

Make sure that when you buy from bulk places that they have a high turnaround, otherwise you may find that some spices, especially the more exotic types, have been sitting around longer than others which is a detriment to their flavor...

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

nsxbill

If you want to get these books online, Here is a link for the books:
//jessicasbiscuit.com

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue    $19.77    Hardcover(Soft is cheaper)
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces   $8.36  Softcover
Total Price     $ 28.13 (shipping is free)

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Bassman

Smoke'n Joe,
You are right, fresh spices make a world of difference!

Mallard,
Here is some info from the book concerning rubs:

Rubs Do's and Don'ts

Do's
1 Do use cane sugar for better flavor and texture
2 Do balance the amounts of sugar(cane) and salts(seasoned,like Lawerys,onion,garlic,and celery
3 Do use between 2 Tablespoons and 1/4 cup of chili powder and black pepper
4 Do add sweet Hungarian Paprika for color
5 Do add three different spices or herbs that you like or you think will enhance the meat that you intend to cook    

Don'ts
1 Don't use brown sugar ,as it tends to clump
2 Don't use too many powders with different granular sizes, or the rub won't stay in suspension and you'll have to shake it every time you use it
3 Don't overpower your rub with one dominant flavor, which can easily happen if you use too much nutmeg,mace,clove,oregano,or rosemary
4 Don't put fresh product in a dry rub. for example, you don't want minced fresh garlic or chopped fresh parsley in a dry rub because the fresh ingredients will cause the rub to clump. A rub is supposed to be a seasoning blend that can be stored in a jar at room temperature. If you addfresh products you can't do that.
5 Don't use meat tenderizer in a rub. If you're not careful it will make the meat mushy
6 Don't keep a rub longer than a year,as the flavor will diminish over time.

HTH [:D][8D][:p]

Jack

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />Well new to me anyway,
I was browsing the local Barnes & Noble book store when I came across Paul Kirks "Championship Barbecue". What a wonderful book,He gives alot of info & recipes. I was especially intrested in how to properly mix spices and make rubs. I have my first brisket in the smoker right now and used one of his rubs. So far the best rub I ever used.
 After reading about spices I updated my spice supply,Some of mine we bought when we got married (27 years ago)they are now in the toilet. I think someone here (mallardwhacker or whitetail) suggested Spice Barn.They have really good prices & service, and you can buy in bulk. Not to mention things like worcestershire powder & horseradish powder.I am one happy camper![:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree his books are very good and useful. He's not known as THE MASTER for nothing.

My copies have that "Paul" part whited out though![:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

Bassman,
I hope your brisket turns out great.  Once you have worked out any bugs you might find in your first brisket smoke(hopefully there are none) I think you will be adding brisket to your regular smoking routine.  I find it to be a real treat.  Let us know how it turns out.  I agree on the cook book as well.

MallardWacker,
What ever happened with your bacon?

Bill,
Need a check in about the status of your guru.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

BS,

The Bacon is still in the fridge having intamtate realtionships with the jalepeno at this time. It is slated to be smoked this weekend, BUT I may have some scheduling conflict, it looks like may have to go down south look at some truck brakes.  I know, I am looking forward to this batch.  Got plans for the next batch aready. Project Intence Maple-Let you folks know about the details later.  Everyone have a great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bassman

Bigsmoker,
My brisket came out <font color="blue"><b>EXCELLENT</b></font id="blue">.[:p][:D][8D] I will definetly be adding it to my list of all time favorites.It was moist,tender and very flavorful thanks to fresh spices and a rub recipe from my new book.
Rubbed it the night before,(yes Kirk the brisket)then smoked it @230F with hickory until internal temp reached 180F.Had smoke on the whole time and it was not overly smokey.Either that or I like alot of smoke[:D]. took about 8hrs. Did the towel thing. Sliced against the grain.Delicious!! One of the best results so far.

Oh yeah, It was a 9lb brisket. I trimmed the fat side down to 1/4 inch. then took out most of the big clump of fat on the seam,then applied the rub.These helpful hints are also in the book.

Jack

Fuzzybear

Smokin' Joe...sounds like your outfit needs to put together a book just special for us man!  I need to visit a bookstore bad...they are getting so few and far between out here in LA that my nearest one is about 10 mile away....good and bad as a result of the internet!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />Rubbed it the night before,(yes Kirk the brisket)<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well apparently I'm getting a bit too predictable! You guys are getting better at this than I am![:D][:D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Jack

Smokin Joe

We're working on it Fuzzy!!!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!