Recommended books - sausage making.

Started by manxman, February 20, 2007, 01:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Just started branching out and making my own sausages, to date just concentrated on the good old British "banger"!

Couple of good books to recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sausage-Book-Paul-Pea0/dp/1904871178

This deals predominantly with British sausages but does touch on some continental ones as well. Plenty of good advice including food handling, equipment and a host of recipes.

Also includes advice from both a domestic and commercial small business point of view.

Plus a very good UK resource list including equipment suppliers, spice/herb suppliers etc plus a couple of sausage making websites including US sites.

Thoroughly recommended.

Other one is an American book and has over 230 recipes from around the world plus a good lead in with advice about grinders, food preparation etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Making-Cookbook-Jerry-Predika/dp/0811716937

This book has more about dry and semi dry sausages than the first one which is predominantly fresh sausage. It has a full chapter on Jerky recipes.

Both books have sections about smoking sausages.

I am a total novice in this area and thought this info maybe of use to anyone else wanting to have a go......  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I've recently have started making sausage also; but haven't smoked any of the sausage I have made. I'll put these books on my list for review.

Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteI've recently have started making sausage also; but haven't smoked any of the sausage I have made.

No, I haven't smoked any as yet either HS. Started off nice and simple with a few varieties of fresh pork sausage using pork shoulder.

Been busy doing repeat batches at the request of my two young sons so I haven't had time to try anything else as yet!  :)

Home made taste great don't they!  ;)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Homemade sausage is better. Right now I am working mostly on emulsified sausages. I'm on a quest to make the perfect hot dog.

From my first couple of batches it looks like it is going to be a very long journey. :-[

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteI'm on a quest to make the perfect hot dog.

Be sure to post the recipe when you succeed!!  ;) :D
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 20, 2007, 03:00:54 AM
Homemade sausage is better. Right now I am working mostly on emulsified sausages. I'm on a quest to make the perfect hot dog.

From my first couple of batches it looks like it is going to be a very long journey. :-[
Hiya Hab. I used a buffalo chopper the last few times to emulsify the meat just out of a very cold refer and what a differance it made. That high speed chopping gets the job done in seconds instead of minutes and really helps. If you ever get a chance to borrow or go some where to use one try it. One of the guys at Alaska Sausage gave me the tip. I think they also call it a rotory chopper. :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on February 20, 2007, 10:11:03 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 20, 2007, 03:00:54 AM

Hiya Hab. I used a buffalo chopper the last few times to emulsify the meat just out of a very cold refer and what a differance it made. That high speed chopping gets the job done in seconds instead of minutes and really helps. If you ever get a chance to borrow or go some where to use one try it. One of the guys at Alaska Sausage gave me the tip. I think they also call it a rotory chopper. :)

I'll have to check one of those out. Right now I am using a food processor to do the emulsifying.

If I do make a hot dog I feel it is perfect (at least for me); I will post the recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.