• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bad weather

Started by Infalable, February 24, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

I have 9 lbs of brisket ready to smoke. It started snowing and sleeting with heavy winds now and is expected through the night. I am maybe thinking its best not to smoke tonight. Would y'all agree?

Wildcat

It would not be my first choice. :o
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

I am not a cold weather smoker but if the box will burn the pucks, finish off in the oven.  The smoker will have done its job. ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

nodak

The trick is to get about 4 hours to do the smoking outside than put in garage or shed to finish.  I've had to do this when it started to rain on me, luckily the smoking part was done so moved bradley into the garage and finished the slow cooking part for about 9 hours more.  Or maybe find side of house fairly protected from what way the weather is coming from to try to do the smoking part there.  Or be patient and smoke another time.

GOOD LUCK

Infalable

Being patient is the hard part. I rigged up a cheap deck umbrella to keep of rain/sleet/snow and some wind. I sheltered it a bit along the side of the house. Whats really cool is that the smoke collects in the umbrella a bit. Yum. I am up and runnin'. This is my first brisket.

LilSmoker

Hi Infalable, after all the effort you're making, a lovely brisket would be a just reward, i hope all goes well for you. ;)
Lot's of rain over here, i've had a pork shoulder/butt in the BS for a good few hours now, the whole process has had to be done in my garage with the window open ;D

I have ribs and chicken queuing up to get in there and top up their tan also!  ::) ;D :D

Anyway good luck with the brisket...............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Patience

I don't think the bad weather will be a problem unless its enough to blow the whole works over on its side or something.  Just setup a couplbe 2x4 chunks on their sides and top off with a board big enough to cover the top vent from rain/snow entering. 

When I was caught in the rain during mid smoke, I put a wadded up kitchen towel into the puck shoot to keep it off the dry pucks and to prevent any water getting into the advance.  It worked well, especially since I had a cordless temp. probe I could stay dry inside.  The smoker is well insulated, I've had snow pile on top of it during smoking and it only melts around the vent so even if cold wind did take some of your heat, it won't be enough to bother the cooking.  The only crummy part is running outside to rotate or change water.  Its bad enough the wife watches you do that in the rain or snow, but add the fact you're in nothing but boxers and penny loafers (cuz they were the closest to the door and easiest to put on) then she wonders.  They just don't understand.  ;)
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

Infalable

Hey Lilsmoker, I thought everyday was sunny on your side of the pond. Snow, rain, slleet you name we had it here the last 16 hours. The brisket is being FTC now so we eat in an hour or so. It wasnt so bad going out in the bad weather, especially knowing whats inside the box. i'll try to take some pics. I am hoping this turns out well.

Wildcat

Hey Patience - Look at it this way - you are creating fond and humerous memories for your wife. ::) ;D ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: Patience on February 25, 2007, 12:34:39 PM
Its bad enough the wife watches you do that in the rain or snow, but add the fact you're in nothing but boxers and penny loafers (cuz they were the closest to the door and easiest to put on) then she wonders.  They just don't understand.  ;)
:D :D :D
In my case it was Sorrel Glacier boots and a bath robe. Ann doesn't think I'm nuts though......... She KNOWS I am. ;D ;) :D