Door seals

Started by lvigil, February 27, 2007, 10:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvigil

I am currently converting a large chest freezer into a propane smoker.  I have already purchased a smoke generator and the sentry gas regulator.   But -- I removed the door seals and now I need a door seal that will not melt.  I need around 20ft. of the stuff.  Where can I find???????  It seems that others have solved this mystery.  Thanks.. :-\
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

Tiny Tim

I don't know if this will help you or not, but you could use High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket stuff from your local automotive parts store.  Apply an even bead to one surface and let it cure before setting the surfaces together.  Or, to get a molded seal, apply to one surface, cover with plastic wrap, close the door and let cure.  Once cured, remove plastic wrap.

Might not be what you want, but it's an idea anyway.

Mr Walleye

I can't help you either but this stuff must be available somewhere.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

What about using woodstove gasket material. I know they sell it in various places along with the cement they use to glue it on... Just a thought.

Maybe oven seal material?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

headgames

MMMMMMMMMMM  ... have a old freezer converted .........  been using it 3 years now ..........  no problem with the factory seal .............    its a magnetic one probably about 30 years old .......... no  signs  of it  melting .... had internal temps  of  290 F ...leaks a little and seems  stiff ..........  but  hey  its  30 years old . lol
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

West Coast Kansan

I am old, leaking and stiff (wrong places) so guessing you conversion has some time left on it even now. 8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

headgames

lmao ....  guess that sounded a  little weird ..........  but yes it barely leaks as you can see in one corner . I blame that on the  seal not the heat from smoking .......... IF IT AINT BROKE  DONT FIX IT .......  kind of theory ....I dont belive the bradley  door  seals are any special material .. just a normal refig/freezer seal made to size in black ...........   and I hear you on the ... old  leaking and stiff parts .. WCK .......  did you ever find the cure for that dreaded NASCAR disease?? .........Dick Trickle ........ lol
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

lvigil

Since I have tossed the original door seals.....aaaAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!   Now to try the oven seals.     Just got to find old ovens and remove the seals and try it.....  dump diving is the term of the weekend...  Thanks for the ideas..  The RVT sealant could possibly work also.
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

neocostical

alliedkenco.com has a lot of smoker parts and accessories. 

CLAREGO

taviboi2011

Hi All,

Newbie here, looking around for ideas and parts, have seen various door seals for particular ovens that you might make fit and also universal sizes on a well  known online auction site.

Hope that helps a little??

beefmann

may want to look into a local appliance parts supply and ask for a magnetic door gasket that you  can cut to size and go from there

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.