• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Man of Wack...needs some help with JERKY

Started by MallardWacker, February 27, 2007, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Thanks jaeger. :)  Really good script!  I will have to look around and see if anyone carries High Mountain.  I will be doing this soon.  You mentioned freezing - I assume that vac sealing is not enough protection from the bugs.  I was always of the opinion that jerky was a way of preserving without refrigeration.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jaeger

Wildcat,
I would still recommend refridgeration. You see a lot of items in the stores that are not under refridgeration but, these items are produced under very strict monitors etc.
I take some with me at times when I'm out and about for the day but I keep it stored under refridgeration after I produce it. I freeze some if I don't think I will use it all within a couple weeks. It holds up well and it still taste great!

jaeger

Quote from: PigOut on March 03, 2007, 04:07:59 AM
I usually use a London broil cut and slice with the grain because this is what was sugg. by high mountain . But you guys are saying eye of the round sliced against the grain. I was told that you get less connective tissue going with the grain. Am I missing something here ? I have done some against the grain and it stretches when you pull it apart or bite into it. Is eye of the round different ?

Skip

I think any cut pretty much would work for jerky. I am just guessing here, but if "it stretches" I am thinking that you may need to try a few pieces just a little more dry next time you make it. Try a small batch with just using the Bradley. You can keep the vent open and crack the door just a little once and a while in between rotations (which are VERY important). This helps to let out the moisture. The Bradley is so well insulated, it wants to hold in all the heat and moisture. This is what makes it such a fine smoker/cooker, but you have to defeat this to achieve the correct texture of the meat. Keep in mind, everyone has there idea of the proper texture but I don't think you want it to stretch when it is done.
I like to cut across the grain because if you want to bite off a piece it is easier to bite. I prefer to tear off little pieces at a time and chew away.
The main thing is rotate, flip pieces and move them around.

MallardWhacker,
I will repost as you mentioned and I'll let you know when I do. Let us know when you try a batch. I would like to here some good results......you will be a hero again to all your taste testers fans!!! ;) ;D :P

Mark,
Venison jerky is one of my favorites. When I give some to the guys I hunt with, they hide it from each other and there kids. You should here them talk, it's really funny!!!