• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke'n!!

Started by CanuckleHead, March 01, 2007, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanuckleHead

Hello all from Toronto Canada!

I just received a DBS last weekend for my birthday. Awesome!! I also began reading this forum and I have to say it is the friendliest, most helpful and supportive forum I have ever read.

Over the last three days I have smoked catfish, snapper, trout and some chedder cheese. The fish is in the freezer and the cheese is wrapped and in the fridge. It should all be good to try by this weekend from all I have read on the forum. I can't wait!!

The only negative thing I have found so far is the search engine, LOL!

Question #1: Is it common for some of the bisquettes not to completely burn before they are pushed off the burn plate into the bowl?

Question #2: How do you keep the temp constant with the DBS? I set the temp to say 160 F and it goes as high as 179F before shutting off and cooling to 156F before turning on again to get back up to 160F.

Well thats it for now. I'm going to try making Indian Candy this weekend and Kummok's hot smoke salmon receipe!

Stay safe all and keeeeeep smoke'n!

Canucklehead
Keep Safe and Keeeep Smoke'n!

Canucklehead

Tiny Tim

I can only help on Q1, but I'm not sure what you mean by "not completely burn".  The bisquettes/pucks burn until completely black (usually) before being pushed into the drink, so they won't be just a pile of ashes before the next puck takes it's place on the burner...unless you're down to the last 3 pucks that you loaded.  The last 2 need a helping hand to get to the burner plate, using either "Bubba Pucks" (or similar item that won't burn), or just reach in with a gloved hand and push them ahead manually.

icerat4

The dbs do tend to fluxuate temps a bit .Its just going to take a lil getting use to.Just make sure your internal temps reach the right temp and all should be ok.Remember most food only needs 4-5 hrs max of smoke.So the rest of the time its just cooking low n slow.Thats my 2 cents.Have fun. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

CanuckleHead

Hey Tiny,

What I mean't by not burning completely was that one or two of the pucks still had unburnt wood in them either the center or the whole top. These weren't pucks at the end but rather in the middle area of my smoke.

Thank you for your reply and help...

Ice,

Hello and thank you for your reply. I use two temp probes in addition to the oven temp guide. One for ambient air in the smoker and the other for the food. Still it all turned out really well so far. I used the DBS to cold smoke the cheese and it never got higher than 72F. ( I had to try a little bit two min ago and it was awesome!! for having sat for only about 17 hours...)

Keep safe and Keeeeep Smoke'n

Canucklehead

Canucklehead

Tiny Tim

Okay.  Advance timing is probably a little off.  I don't know how to fix that, though, sorry.

I never really look at my used pucks...just dump 'em in a snowbank to make sure they're out. :D  (course I've only had my Bradley since January of this year)

NePaSmoKer

A couple of bubba pucks will help you on the unburnt wood. I think we have all had that little problem.

nepas

icerat4

Hey canucklehead do you play hockey.If so where and how old are ya.Nothing like playing a lil rat ice in the am and then smoking some ribs that afternoon.If  your problem persist with the puck advance call bradley.There customer service is great.You wont have any problems with them at all.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum CanuckleHead, Happy Belated Birthday, and congradulations on the wonderful gift. :)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

CanuckleHead

Thanks Tiny!

Ice, I do play but I was in a pile up on the 401 at the end of December 06 so haven't played much this season. Plus I'm a goalie and I need new pads as my old ones fell apart! That will be $2500.00 and thats not even brand new stuff! Sucks to be me... lol... Of course I do have my lovely new smoker to pick me up now... I'd play in and around Milton/Mississauga in the over 35 crowd.

I will be ordering a couple of those Bubba pucks and a drying rack from Chez Bubba asap... Though my problem isn't that the pucks aren't feeding correctly. A couple are just not burning completely before moving into the bowl.

Thanks for the info though NePa...

Thank you as well Wildcat for the B-Day wishes.

Canucklehead

icerat4

Pm me with your address and ill get some hockey pucks sent your way.I mean wood pucks.Lol Serious i have no problem helping out a old hockey smoking buddie .Even if your  a goalie i understand lol.If ya want the puck pm me and ill pass them your way no charge.Welcome to the fourm and have fun smoking.ICERAT OUT.O I  am a center and still play with guys in the ahl leauge and a few of the red wings on there off season.Its a good time playing with guys of that calibor ;D.OK RAT OUT...

West Coast Kansan

CanuckleHead, great Bday gift! Welcome to the forum!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

CanHead,
I too have a DBS and have seen unburnt pucks.  I have never been able to determine which puck it was that was unburnt.  I suspect on the couple of occasions that is has happened, that it was probably the first puck and I didn't preheat the BS with the puck burner on.  That would make the most sense to me as the burner may take a while to heat up enough to actually start the burning process and if 20 minutes is timed on the tight side, several minutes less (while it heats up) could leave some wood left unspent.
I have never seen the DBS not drop a puck exactly on the 20 minute mark but then I have never validated the 20 minute mark is actually 20 minutes.  Guess someday I'll have to break out the atomic clock if the unburnt puck problem shows up any more.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuotePlus I'm a goalie and I need new pads as my old ones fell apart!

Hi CanuckleHead and welcome to the forum. I used to be a field hockey goalie as opposed to ice hockey which I presume you are talking about.

One thing was the same and that's the price of the kit, around £1000 / $2000 a time and it doesn't last that long if you are doing the job properly. Fortunately I had some sponsorship for much of my 30 years between the sticks but it still proved mighty expensive!!  :-[

Of course we played with (our) balls rather than pucks!  ;)

Manxman

CanuckleHead

Thanks WestCoast!

Thank you too Gizmo! Your info lined up with what I basically thought. I think turning the burner on with the preheat might be the key! Although it has been at least two pucks that don't burn completely. One of which for sure was in the middle of my last smoke. I think I will just have to monitor it as it is still early and I have only used my DBS twice now. Thank you again and let me know how that atomic clock thing works out... Lol...

Manxman! I've read lots of your posts. I know what you mean about field hockey... I've played a game here and there. Always played out though and not in goal. Rufffffff game! Especially if you play mixed (men/women)... As to your balls I'll leave that to you... lol... Did/do you play much football? Rugby? I'm an Arsenal fan and I still play a little rugby. Take care and thanks for your post.

Canucklehead

manxman

QuoteManxman! I've read lots of your posts. I know what you mean about field hockey... I've played a game here and there. Always played out though and not in goal. Rufffffff game! Especially if you play mixed (men/women)... As to your balls I'll leave that to you... lol... Did/do you play much football? Rugby? I'm an Arsenal fan and I still play a little rugby. Take care and thanks for your post.

Hi Canucklehead,

Yeah, played football, rugby, basketball and cricket (if anyone has heard of it on the other side of the pond!) predominantly but field hockey was the main passion and the one I was best at IMHO, played to a reasonable standard. And yes.... mixed hockey is the worst. Blimey.... I've met some scary female hockey players in my time!!  :o

Don't get to do much sport nowadays, 30 years of throwing myself around has taken it's toll with injuries and aches and pains. Hope to be around for another 30 years at least so decided it was time to treat my body with a bit more respect!

Sorry to hear you are an Arsenal fan  :D ;), I'm a Manchester City fan myself!!  :-[ :-[

Take good care.
Manxman