• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Canadian Bacon Cured Cooked

Started by Gizmo, March 01, 2007, 11:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Finished my first Canadian Bacon 2 days ago and was actually able to wait 2 days while it "rested" in the fridge in plastic wrap.  From what I have read in some of the older posts here on Canadian Bacon, I believe the product is considered cooked and can be eaten without further cooking.  I sliced off a few pieces and had a taste.  Very good.  Also tossed a few pieces on the griddle and heated it up.  Very good as well.

5 lb pork tender loin
7 Day cure
Rinse, soak for 1 hour
Air dry uncovered in Fridge
200 deg box temp with 2 hours smoke.
IT of 150 + (probe on each end)
Pulled and let rest covered on the counter.
Wrapped in plastic, refrigerated for 2 days.
Slice and sample.

Next time, remember to tie for round shape.
Looking for a consensus
Is IT of 150 cooked enough?  In other words safe to eat without further cooking?

The flavor is bit different after further cooking and would like to be able to eat it both ways.  Looking forward to some Pizza with Canadian bacon.  Just waiting for the Pizza guys here to deliver the utlimate recipe (dough and sauce) to put my new topping on.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. I only bring my Canadian bacon to 150°F; not higher than 152°F, and it is fully cooked. Much beyond that your bacon will start to get a little dry. For commercially produced pork that internal temperature is safe. You still can pan fry it, it's similar to frying cooked ham. I have used recipes that only require that you bring pork up to 145°F.

Also tying not only keep it round, but because the shape is more uniform, the meat cooks more evenly throughout.

May I suggest the next time; prior to smoking, cut about 1 pound off. Then roll that piece in coarse ground cornmeal, wrap tightly in plastic wrap for about 24 hours. Unwrap, slice about 1/8" thick, coat slices with more cornmeal and pan fry. It's delicious.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

That looks real nice Gizmo.  How long did you cook after the smoke?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Gizmo, that bacon looks fantastic!, i can't stop looking at it  ;D

I've dabbled with bacon in the past, but not done any with the BS, so it's on the list, especially after seeing your pics.
Very nice indeed  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

Wildcat,
It took about 4 to 4.5 hours total to get to 150 deg so 2 to 2.5 hours after the 2 hour smoke.

Habs, I'll definatly try the corn meal.  I actually used your recipe and directions on this adventure.  Had seen the cornmeal variation and had that as my next project.  Was thinking about making a jalepeno and habanero puree and infusing that into a loin as well for the hot heads.

Thanks Habs, Iceman, and Mother Olds, for stoppin by for breakfast.  It was tasty.

Quote from: Oldman on December 12, 2006, 03:33:52 PM

So what does this have to do with Iceman's BBQ sauce?

Damn the next then you will know is Mother will have me putting it on my eggs too~~! (No kidding Mother eats it on her eggs... Good Lordie help the prime rib.....LOL~!)

Olds

Gizmo

Lil, the hardest part about doing bacon is the waiting for the cure to cure. ;)  I find the process is quite easy and results are very good.

LilSmoker

Yeah Gizmo i agree the waiting is a killer, i'm bad enough just waiting 4 days for my brisket to cure for pastrami!  ;D it will be ready tonight though, so i'll have pastrami for the weekend  ;D

I'm definately gonna get into some bacon though  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

jaeger

Good job Gizmo!
Nice pictures. You do realize that what you now have is not only canadian bacon but when you slice it steak thickness, you have smoked pork chops. Try one on the grill. Remember, it only needs to be warmed up and not cooked again. This would be good with a sauce like Ice BBQ, honey sauce, cranberry...maybe cherry sauce. Orange marmalade?
Eggs benedict for sure!!!

Gizmo

I almost have a hard time doing anything other than just eating it thinly sliced.  It is just too tasty.  Makes great sandwiches as well.  :D

MallardWacker

Hay GIZ....

I see that you have attained near Nirvana like some of us...you have gone to a place where everyone is welcome but few have chosen.  A land that flows with flavor and great BLT's... A place called BACON....I and the GRAND POO-BAH Habanero Smoker grant full rights to the kingdom called BACON.

We are proud of you son.

SIR FRACIS BACON (no kidding)

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

MW:

When it comes to bacon, you are mightier than all.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

MW,
I am Honored at such a bestowing and from such a nobel one truely a gift.  I owe it all to the gifts of the those who have dared to travel before me and to those who dare to follow in the footsteps,  I bid a fond taste, the journey rewards its wanderers and is worth the toils.

coyote

The WOW factor is engaged Gizmo...Looks Great. I 've got to try one of those...and learn how to post
pictures too. My kids are too impatient with the ol man  >:(

Coyote

fatandhappy

looks great! can't wait to try it my self.  never done any curing should be fun.