Skyway is down to one foot again...

Started by Oldman, August 29, 2004, 12:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I don't believe most here know about my dog Skyway. Anyway he is now in a wheelchair. His back legs no longer work. He is about 5 years old. Last year something got to his two front feet. First one then the other. I spent days where I had to carry him from point A to point B. We got over that. Well it is happening again.  I cannot figure it out. He is cleaner than a new baby. I watch where he walks. Anyway I thought that maybe I should share him here with you all.

This picture of him I created as he is my never give up puppy.

This was the last time this problem started.

Then it moved into both front feet. I spent the next 10 nights on the floor with him with both his front feet taped to my hands as he would try to get the wrappings off.

He has had a very hard life. When I got him he had parovirus twice. There were little red marks in his belly where they had to remove fluids as his digestive system could not handle much. He had almost no hair. When he was 40 pounds his hips gave out. We took care of that. However 2 1/2 years later we could not fix the loss of a nerve in his back. This happened when he was almost 3 years old. The first 4- 6  weeks I had him  he slept under my shirt at night due to his lack of hair. I slept in a chair.  This last picture I captured one day. He loves to lay down with the plants. I call it Skyway's Love.

Sometimes I wish I could just walk up to the Lord of Light and ask him what gives...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mando

good looking dog, I sure hope everything works out . I am a dog lover myself.

nsxbill

I had a Cocker that blew his spine out.   He and his mate lived in and out of the garage.  I called him one night for dinner, and he came dragging his rear quarters as fast as he could.  After about three days of I.V. Prednisone and antibiotics, he regained his mobility, but never got the bladder control back.  He was about 16 years old when he died.  

Always have had a dog.  You sure get close.  

I used to race my Acura NSX a couple of times a year, and my Miniature Rotweiller(4 lb Yorkshire Terrier) was my constant companion.  Folks in the car club called him "The Road Warrior."  Wife wouldn't ride with me because I drive too fast, so I traveled with the dog.  Dog can't jump into the Hummer because of the high road clearance, but if I pick up the keys, he is ready to go.

Ask you vet about Prednisone.  It is like the bazooka of anti-inflammatory meds.  Might help.

I have never been able to view any of your pictures you post up.  Don't know why.

Billl
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

Olds...after your post in the Pet chat...you don't suppose the poor guy has a people food allergy do you?  Twice of everything now for Sky...good thing he's got a poppa like you to take care of him!

Good luck and hope he pulls out of this one like he always has in the past!  He's a tough guy and he's got you and the Mrs. to live for and that makes him happy as all get out!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

Bless ya Olds,

As a new Daddy, I know what it feels like to be so attached & loving. Kinda makes ya sad, but yet you can't fathom not doing it.
Tell Skyway that Buck says hello & best wishes.[:)]

I have to pass that on because they can't get together & smell each others' butts![:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Smokin Joe

Hang in there Dow...

I have a bionic dog as well.  We have replaced both of her back legs with titanium implants because of torn cruciate ligaments...

I still have people look at me crazy when they think that I would put nearly $6000 bucks into an "animal", but I see it as worth every penny and I would gladly and happily do it again.

We've got our paws and fingers crossed for you on our end!

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

Oldman

Much thanks everyone for the words. Well Skyway is back into action. We got lucky as we caught it in time. One thing is for sure, when you have a handicapped pet you learn real quick to look him over every day and to keep an eye on what he is doing.

Believe this or not but I gotten to know Skyway so well I can tell by the look on his face when he wants water. The look is so slight, but it just freaks out my wife because she can't see it! When we are walking I monitor his ears. When they get hot it is time to turn around and head back. His nose will still be cool, but when the ears are hot that is the half way mark~~LOL!

Smokin Joe,
I fully understand about the 6K. The first 20 hours Skyway was down cost me over a thousand. No, you are not nuts.

Again, thanks for all of the good words and thoughts.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Atta boy Sky!  The resiliancy of a rubber band!

[:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Olds- Hang in there.My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Olds- Hang in there.My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't we all...