• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

sausage binder question

Started by nodak, March 09, 2007, 03:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

From advice here I'm going to use some dry milk.  My question is when do I put it in.  My seasoning mixes with water.  I'm thinking after everthing else is mixed in that is when I should put it in, than stuff?  What do the rest of you do?

thanks,

Arcs_n_Sparks

nodak,

I use soy protein when I make brats. I mix it in when I mix in the other spices and liquids.

Arcs_n_Sparks

iceman

Bull binder (soy protein) powdered milk, instant rice powder (yes it works and holds in moisture) are normally added to the ground meats before any other liquids are introduced. This is according to the boys at Alaska Sausage that do a lot of game meat. I do it and it works well this way. Others just mix everything at once but I've yet to try theres. I'm sure either way would work as long as you don't let things just sit around before mixing it and stuffing. I'm sure it will turn out for you. Have fun. :)

coyote

Hey Nodak ,Are you using a commercial seasoning mix ? Like High mountain or cabelas ? I've used
both quite a bit , but never needed a binder. But if I were gonna use it , I'd add it with my seasonings.
Loowwwwww and sloowwwww
                                                                               Coyote

winemakers

Most recipies I use call for some ice water ~pint or so.  I mix spices, cures, dry milk, binder-de-jour with this fluid then mix with the meat.  I think I get a good distribution thru-out the meat mix without pockets of dry stuff forming.

nodak

We'll see how it turns out, I put binder in last as I made a 25# batch and suffed only About 5# pkg rest into chubs for patties and biscuits and gravy.  used binder(dry milk) in stuffed meat only, than 2nd grind.

thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

sausman

If you are using powdered milk it works best if you run it through your food processer till you have a talcum powder like consistency. This mimics the expensive milk powder from Sausage Maker. It only works if you don't heat your sausage over 152F internal temp when smoking. SAlt is actually a good binder by itself and is in most mixes.

West Coast Kansan

Greetings and welcome Sausman :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

coyote

Hey Sausman , Welcome to the smokin' section .

nodak

The dry milk worked, My sauasage is lot more tender.

thanks,

iceman