• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

trout.....no time to brine

Started by boxertrio, March 18, 2007, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

The boy is goin on a 3 day fly fishin trip with some buddy's and has asked to take the Bradley along for the ride.  They plan on smokin their catch after catching, what temp to maintain?   I think fish needs to cook to 140 F if I remember correctly.  I am sending Cherry and Hickory with him....which will work best for fresh trout?  How long and what temp to smoke?

Fish is something I have no experience with and most of the recipes I have found here and at Olds place call for a brine wich they have neither the time or desire to prepare.

Thanks
Glenn
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Gizmo

No expert here, but the Cherry being lighter in flavor should make a great choice.  You didn't mention what kind of fish they would likely catch so the fat content of the fish is not known.  The typical recipes for fish (with a brine) are for around 2-3 hours at 200 deg F.  You could send them off with a dry cure but that would not be quick either, just more convenient.  Without a cure or brine, I would be tempted to smoke the fish in a high heat with a short time frame to retain moisture.  Should just flake.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

boxertrio

thanks Giz.....they are trout fishin
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

West Coast Kansan

If you have alder it is good on fish.  Sure it would work with trout. Will be interesting to see what the far north folks say.  Also check out CanuckleHead and Lil Smoker thread. Great pictures!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4838.0
:P

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

I use Alder on fish, tastes great on jerky too.

nepas